Overclocking my 2.4 Pent IV CPU???

pisces7378

I was given the following advice...

If you're on a budget, get another 512MB of ram, and try overclocking your cpu. It's not uncommon for those 2.4 chips to clock to 3.2GHz or even higher.

I have a Pent IV 2.4gHz CPU in my PC and I am trying to squeeze as much performance out of it as I can.

What is overclocking a CPU, and is it dangerous? It sounds dangerous. How do you do it?

Thanks guys,
Michael

Search some forums and see if you can find one more specific to that. My little brother overclocks all his processors but you have to be very careful and it usually takes him a while to tweak it down correctly.

These days CPU"s have a Thermal Shutdown feature so frying your CPU from overclocking is not easy.....

I have a P-4 2.6ghz that I have overclocked to 3.2ghz without any Increased Temperature but I have a Huge Heatsink.....

To properly overclock your CPU you should have a Heavey duty heatsink and your Motherboard has to be Capible to Overclocking the FSB (Front Side Buss) without overclocking the PCI/AGP/DDR speeds which most regular motherboards can not do......

You also need to know what you are doing or you will end up with a PC that shuts down all the time and is very unstable but if you do know what your doing and have the Right CPU and Motherboard and Cooler then it is a great way of increaseing CPU performance.....

I have been running my 2.6ghz at 3.2ghz for about 4 years now (Even before there were 3.2ghz CPU"s available) and it has been rock solid and stable but I also built my system arround being able to overclock it so the components are suited to overclocking.....

Cheers

I have a P4 2.8 with HT...if i overclock this to something around 3.6ghz, will everything run cool and safe? I have a Thermaltake heatsink with fan.

The most common misconception with overclocking is that every chip/ram will react to an overclock the exact same. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

As Minion said, IF you have a motherboard with a surfeit of overclocking features, you MAY be able to overclock your chip a few hundred Mhz.

Largely, overclocking is based on lowering the multiplier (12x on the 2.4 most likely, 12*200mhz=2400mhz or 2.4ghz) and boosting the FSB (or on newer processors the HTT, essentially the same thing). The reason you lower the multiplier (sounds rather contradictory doesn't it?) is so that you will have different multiples of processing speed.

For example:
11*225=2475

11 is the multiplier and 225 is the FSB/HTT resulting in a 75mhz gain. It is common to overclock your RAM as well to match the FSB resulting in much better stability. This tweaking to find the sweet spot takes many hours, even days to run through the benchmarks and test for stability.

So, overclocking stability and speed largely depends on the quality and speed of your RAM, not just your processor. There is TONS of information available on the web, in fact i'm CERTAIN you can find complete guides solely for your chip, and popular motherboards and ram that compliment it decently.

As for damage, lately, It is getting progressively more difficult to fry your hardware due to the leaps in affordable cooling solutions and automatic shut-off due to internal thermometers, however, it's not unlikely that with repeated failure, permanent damage can occur. Even with proper cooling, overclocking has been commonly related to premature cessation due to stress.

I will leave you with some popular overclocking sites, although model specific searches will turn up more viable information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overclocking
http://www.overclockers.com/
http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/
http://www.overclock.net/

Happy hunting!

Exactly...

Also, if you don't know what your doing, the split second you turn on the computer, bam, frys'.. That's if your sending WAY too much current, and overclocking your cpu too much (like the FSB & multiplier. HOWEVER. Most of the processors today ARE harder to fry like said. The thing that would go first, and cause your system to crash, is memory, and the rest of the affected parts. When you overclock the FSB, your also overclocking the AGP slot, PCIE if you have it, Memory, the regular PCI, and everything else. That's where you get more of your performance boosts. You'll get a small amount of performance, from the actual processor, but most of the time, it might bottleneck, and still not run the fastest. You can't add a mass amount of HP without better tires right? you'll just sit there spinning your tires, and not going too far.... Anyways, if you use the FSB to overclock, MAKE sure your memory can handle it. One way to keep stability, is loosen your timings on your memory (basically underclock your memory, and then over clock the FSB). Use both if your board can use it (multiplier & fsb). Don't go too much at a time, do one unit, test, make sure stable, and up it up a notch. My pentium d 930 is overclocked to 3.8ghz right now, and runs stable with corsair ddr2 xms platinum sticks.

So all in all, check the speed of your memory & fsb, check the bios if you can safely overclock both the multiplier & fsb. If you only can overclock one or the other, then do it in small amounts. 10x200 = 2000, 11x200 = 2200 (2.2) now if you use the FSB, and stay at 10, you can make a smaller jump, and easier/more stabilty (cause you don't know exactly if "2200" clock speed is the exact speed you would 'crap' out at, it could be at 2.19, but you can take it to 2.15 in example). Say you leave it at 10, and up the FSB to 210, you'll end up with 2100 (2.1), instead of jumping to 2.2 with the multiplier. You have more control over how much, you could do, 10x206 if you wanted to, and get 2.06ghz. Or take 11x205 and get 2205, without crapping out the RAM itself, or other components. It is always best to if you can, use both to overclock, and not just one.

Back