overall effects

LeeJ

So Ive recorded, mixed and now im ready to send to Minidisc or whatever, Im gonna send the mixed track from my VS1680 through a mixer (to give to overall sound an EQ'ing if it needs it) to a minidisc recorder. question:

1. should i also patch in a quadraverb to add some subtle effect to the overall sound? It's country stuff, so it doesn't want a lot.

2. If I use a quadraverb of a microverb, what effect would you add and why?

Reverb? plate, room or hall?

Has it been mastered? If not, I highly recommend that you do this before getting it pressed. And I HIGHLY recomment Massive Mastering or Blue Bear Sound for mastering. They are the best that I know of on this forum (apologies to anybody on this forum that also do mastering, these are the only two I know of off the top of my head). Mastering will bring it up to Red Book Standard and will make the tracks that you have submitted sound the best that it can possibly sound. Do a search on mastering and you'll find all the reasons why. And if they feel the need for verb across the board they will do it. They are experienced pro's. They know what they are doing.

Does Blue bear do mastering? I thought he was a recording and mixing kind of a guy. I'd imagine he could do a a very respectable job but I don't think he markets himself as a mastering engineer.

Lee - (OTR - Feel free to zip around my site if you like)

I'd highly reccommend against going through the verb - The Quadraverb is...

What's a nice way to say this...

Really, really NOISY!!! just from being put in the chain. As is the Microverb. As an aux, it's barely usable. As an insert, it's an instant and significant degredation of the signal.

IMO, you'd be best off getting the mix as close as you can in the 1680, adding EQ where it's needed at the track level, and burning directly to PCM. That means no MiniDisc either if you can help it - It's a very lossy form of compression. Better than cassette, but still not nearly the resolution as the internal resolution you're getting in the 1680 or even a standard audio CD.

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
Does Blue bear do mastering? I thought he was a recording and mixing kind of a guy. I'd imagine he could do a a very respectable job but I don't think he markets himself as a mastering engineer.
I think the real question here is... "They play country music in the UK?!?" :D

Massive Master said:

:eek: I didn't notice that!

Funny you should mention it, the Americana/Alt country thing is huge in the Uk at the moment.

Massive Master said:

Country is BIG in the UK. Certain areas for example the north east (Newcastle, etc) they have Countyr music on in the local clubs 7 nights a week. There is some good players out there too. Im only 30 but Ive been into country Music for 20 years And Ive been playing it in bands for 17years. Love it!

LeeJ said:
So Ive recorded, mixed and now im ready to send to Minidisc or whatever, Im gonna send the mixed track from my VS1680 through a mixer (to give to overall sound an EQ'ing if it needs it) to a minidisc recorder. question:

1. should i also patch in a quadraverb to add some subtle effect to the overall sound? It's country stuff, so it doesn't want a lot.

2. If I use a quadraverb of a microverb, what effect would you add and why?

Reverb? plate, room or hall?

For country I would imagine that you want as natural a sound as possible. A low-end digital reverb like the Quad probably will sound a bit artificial for these purposes.

I would try feeding the mix to a pair of speakers in another room and recording or mixing that from two other tracks on the board. You can get a good combination of both delay and verb by positioning the mics at different spots in the room.

One of the things to try is sending different amounts of each instrument since you want to create a 3-dimensional image of the sound with less reverb for instruments or vocals that should be "up front" versus rear facing instruments. Don't just slap a reverb on the main buss over everything unless you want the entire mix to sound more distant.

LeeJ said:
Country is BIG in the UK. Certain areas for example the north east (Newcastle, etc) they have Country music on in the local clubs 7 nights a week. There is some good players out there too. Im only 30 but Ive been into country Music for 20 years And Ive been playing it in bands for 17years. Love it!
Wow - You learn something new every day. I get a decent amount of U.K. clients, but it's almost always trance/dance/metal/alternative. I just never imagined country music (at least as I know it) being popular anywhere else for some reason... Except for the country-pop type stuff (Faith Hill, Shannia Twain, etc.).

Kevin DeSchwazi said:

Yeah, I guess adding the words TALK TO would have helped somewhere in there. But I'd been doing the beer-gulp thing all night so I'm surprised I could even type much less read! ;)

7string said:
Yeah, I guess adding the words TALK TO would have helped somewhere in there. But I'd been doing the beer-gulp thing all night so I'm surprised I could even type much less read! ;)

You did well, I totally lose the ability to operate a keyboard after a few beers :D

Back