Over Heads for Demos

Metal Titan

Alright so my band and I have started making some demos of our music so that we can get ideas for a full length album. Since it's only demos i've been only micing the bass drum and the snare. After listening back I realized that you can't hear my cymbals at all. Eventually I do plan on buying an MXR 990/991 mic set but I was hoping to wait until the actual album. Right now i have a Shure DMK 5752 drum mic set and a Shure SM48. The question here is, what would a decent option be for recording decent quality demo tracks so that I can actually hear my cymbals? My only guess is use the 48 as an impromptu overhead but I'm not sure of the quality at all. Any help and opinions would be great.

Alright so my band and I have started making some demos of our music so that we can get ideas for a full length album. Since it's only demos i've been only micing the bass drum and the snare. After listening back I realized that you can't hear my cymbals at all. Eventually I do plan on buying an MXR 990/991 mic set but I was hoping to wait until the actual album. Right now i have a Shure DMK 5752 drum mic set and a Shure SM48. The question here is, what would a decent option be for recording decent quality demo tracks so that I can actually hear my cymbals? My only guess is use the 48 as an impromptu overhead but I'm not sure of the quality at all. Any help and opinions would be great.

Instead of getting something and then upgrading to something else, just go for the something else. Get stuff you'll use forever. Then you won't waste a bunch of money. YMMV.

Just use the 2 mics you have now if its just for ideas.

One a couple feet above the snare, one on the bass drum. Or the Recorderman method.

Back