Outside for isolation? a psychological problem perhaps

Captain Ego

Well I'm off to the country visiting the GF's fammy again for a week.

One of the biggest problem I have with home-recorded vocal takes is that I never seem to get the quiet that I need. When anyone is home, or a neighbor nearby in his yard.. I have a serious psychological hangup about singing out in my "big" voice while a track is playing in my headphones. I really do love feeling completely isolated as I work on things. It's unnerving to sing the same phrase 5 different ways, playing with vocal technique as I experiment, knowing that my nosey neighbor is listening in and chuckling... this isn't like stage fright, I have no problem if the music behind it is audible, but singing really loud when I'm not sure of exactly how I'm singing yet, over and over again - is just not something I ever feel comfortable with people listening in to.

I dunno, like working out naked with bystanders or something.

So, back to the country, and a battery powered recorder... I thought I would take advantage of the battery power and go waaaay off into the woods as a convenient excuse to avoid the tedium of all the kiddies at the week-long family affair. There may be very distant highway noise, but I do have two gain settings on the recorder's built in mic, one meant for close micing so that might help. I close mic when I sing anyway.

I have never recorded outside of a room environment, letting the room have its sound as part of the overall track and I worry it might come off as very dead sounding as there wont be anything really reflecting.

Has anyone tried doing vocal takes off in the great outdoors?

I was wondering if maybe there's some settings I could make to the preamp, the compressor, and/or equalizer before hand to prepare for the outsideness of the environment?

(all the stuff, pre/comp/EQ,etc, is built in, one of those gimick-laden handheld do-it-all things) It tracks directly from the in-line internal effects, there is no insert option to test out the settings over a dry track, so I worry it will just be wasted time if it will all come out sounding dead.

Unless you are out in the middle of a calm desert, you are going to get wind in the trees, birds, etc. No matter the quality of the recorder, a built-in mic is 'adequate', at best.
Better solution - build yourself a minimal isolation booth at home - it may not shield your voice completely from outside listeners, but will to a point that may allow you to stop worrying about what the neighbors think!

not so much about what they think, but about not wanting to bug them. It's one thing to listen to someone work on a project over and over again when you are part of the project, another to live next door to it. They are nice about their annoying leaf blower and I like to be nice about my annoying blurts of noise.

Regarding the gear, yeah all my gear is kind of 'best i can get on a budget' so the built in mic being adequate at best is about all I can hope for.

About the birds etc, well that's not something I worry about over the closeness and relative volume of what I'll be singing into the same mic thats picking up the disney scene in the background.

What I was wondering is if there's any kind of vocal pre-amp or comp setting jumping-off point people use for outdoors that's different from recording in a room. I figure since I'll be out in the country I may as well try to get something done while not worried about bugging my neighbors.

Better solution - build yourself a minimal isolation booth at home - it may not shield your voice completely from outside listeners, but will to a point that may allow you to stop worrying about what the neighbors think!

I'd opine that the OP would be better off -- at least in terms of the final musical results -- eliminating any psychological hurdles rather than worrying about extraneous noises that make their way onto his/her recordings. A engaging, uninhibited vocal will trump a "clean" track any day of the week.

But I agree that the built-in mic on those handheld recorders deserves upgrading too.

Back