Outdoor Miner

Sounding good Rob! The drums do sound much better to me now. Balances seem fine, although I think that the louder bits from the backing vocals could come down a little. The quieter bits sound fine, but there are just a couple of blasts from the backing vocals that stand out.

This mix would fit right in with the early 2000s bands that I love, its got a lot of charm to it. Nice job.

great job Rob...dunno the song so it sounds like an original to me

Its raw sounding, I like the guitar tone, almost new wave sounding.

you vocals are spot on. the mix seems small to me, probably because I try to get mine sounding so boombastic, all the levels seem to be right. nice to hear one of your tunes, its been a while.

Great. The drums are a wee bit light in the bottom end for my taste, but they suit the song. The balances are pretty much perfect, the wet/dry balance of the drums is really nice and the whole thing is a jolly good listen.:D

The slow "lies on his side" part is a good volume now, but I'd like the vocal doubled if I was doing it.

Well done. :)

Thanks a lot for coming back in Bubba. I think I've probably over-compensated on the bottom end of the drums on the update. I'm still trying to find a balance I like with the software, but I think the gating made a big difference - particularly on the tail of the snare where I focused it.

The slow 'lies on his side' part has actually been doubled on both mixes, but it sounds like that's not coming through on the mix. I'll have another tweak - thanks for all your help on this one though, glad you like :)

Oh yeah, this is much more open sounding now. Clarity is improved I think. Drums are a little on the lite side as bubba notes, but I think it's a good compromise to get the mix to seem less muffled than it did. Good job!

Sorry, but the vocal counterpoint part that comes in at the end sounds just a bit off pitch-wise to me? Maybe? Maybe it's me, but I don't remember thinking that on the original version...

Awesome, thanks Heat. Yeah, I don't know what the hell I was thinking on that first mix - as soon as I A/B'd the two it was clear that it was off in that first mix.

The counterpoint was probably too low in the first mix to hear any pitch issues - it was a first pass take that I just went with. Should probably re-track. Thanks for coming back in!

Really nice listen. I think the mix needs a bit of work. But I still enjoyed listening to it.

The first thing I noticed was that the vocal is much dryer than anything else. It sounds like it's in a different place than anything else. You could probably give it a small boost at 5K for a little extra clarity.

The bass is a little soft. There are spots where it sounds a little indistinct - no definition between the notes. The mix itself just seems a little light in the low end.

The main rhythm crunch guitar is little indistinct. It's kind of mushy sounding.

I can't put my finger on why, but the mix sounds fairly narrow.

Good comments and glad it sounded enjoyable Trip. The main rhythm guitars may well be masking the bass a little contributing to two of the issues you pick up on. I'll see whether some tweaks can improve the relationship between those two.

Vocals, yeah they're pretty dry aren't they. It felt to me like some of the elements needed to be pretty verby and others dry, but if it's distracting because they sound in different spaces then maybe I need to revisit. I’ll bear your other comments in mind too. Thanks a lot man :)

Sounding good Rob! The drums do sound much better to me now. Balances seem fine, although I think that the louder bits from the backing vocals could come down a little. The quieter bits sound fine, but there are just a couple of blasts from the backing vocals that stand out.

This mix would fit right in with the early 2000s bands that I love, its got a lot of charm to it. Nice job.

Cool, thanks Tad – that was a helpful spot from you, though I can’t understand why I didn’t hear it myself first time around. Comments noted on BV levels, I’ll take a look.

I’m sure we both like a lot of the same early 2000s bands, so I’ll take that compliment. Thanks man!

great job Rob...dunno the song so it sounds like an original to me

Its raw sounding, I like the guitar tone, almost new wave sounding.

you vocals are spot on. the mix seems small to me, probably because I try to get mine sounding so boombastic, all the levels seem to be right. nice to hear one of your tunes, its been a while.

Great to hear from you KC – thanks for listening and commenting! I enjoyed your last one a lot, though I don’t think I got chance to comment in here.

New wave is good with me – I always thought of Wire as a new wave before new wave existed band. I consciously didn’t push the levels towards boombastic on this so that it stayed true to the original in some respects – like for example there’s no limiter or anything on the master bus. Whether I could have made it into a ‘big’ sounding if I tried is another matter. I might pitch for that on the next tune and see if I can pull it off.

Cheers mate :)

Yeah pushing it through limiters etc would ruin it.

Ive got another (theyre flowing lol)

More piano and softer sounds...im like Richard Clayderman with one finger :D

Back & listening to Mix 2 as I type.
Bass sorted.
You vocals in the 1st verse give the song an early Squeeze vibe.
That's a good thing to me.
It sounds right for the time & intent.
I really like it & really like the band too.

Yeah pushing it through limiters etc would ruin it.

Ive got another (theyre flowing lol)

More piano and softer sounds...im like Richard Clayderman with one finger :D

Awesome, I'll give it a listen :D

I've got about 14 songs to learn in the next couple of months for a band we've put together for a wedding, so I need to get on a roll too...

Back & listening to Mix 2 as I type.
Bass sorted.
You vocals in the 1st verse give the song an early Squeeze vibe.
That's a good thing to me.
It sounds right for the time & intent.
I really like it & really like the band too.

Great, thanks for listening back Ray. I think all the issues with the first mix were interlinked. A few more tweaks to do based on second mix feedback, but I'm not sure I can face diving back in just yet. I like this song/band a lot and don't want to kill it with hearing it much more just at the moment.

Funnily enough there's a Squeeze song on the future covers list. Thanks man, hope all's good with you.

Yeah,Up the Junction is the song I have in mind. A lot of Squeeze leaves me cold, but that's just an excellent tune. Great melody, great lyrics and really evocative of the era I think.

Back