Outboard mixer adjustments to show on computer screen?

Kellie's Dad

I am looking at aquiring a small mixer for recording and also to use for live sound. What do I need or what do I have to do to get the computer screen to show the mixer settings?

Kellie's Dad,

Wow, that's a tall order for a small mixer that you also want to use for live sound. I think what you need is a mixer that supports automation, and its likely to be *very* expensive. So much so that I've never even looked for one.

Even so, I think that mix automation only applies to the faders. I'm not sure if automated analog mixers also automate panning, effects sends, EQ, etc.

There are control surfaces- hardware that looks like a mixer but just changes the settings in a software mixer- but they are no good for live sound. There are digital mixers that can save and restore mixer scenes, but they aren't for live sound either.

I've never heard of an analog mixer that was able to show adjustments on a computer screen. Hopefully someone else will be along shortly who does know of one. I'm sure it would be unearthly expensive, but it would be neat to research how it works.

Chris

I might have a plan for you....
How much money do you plan on spending?
What programs are you using?
Computer specs, etc????

I wouldn't, but....

You could pick up a used Tascam TM-D1000 Mixer. It has 16 channels. 8 analogue/8 digital.

You could use Cakewalk 9 or Sonar for your software (they have a Tascam PRESETS map/ StudioWare Panel for the TM-D1000).

If you want/need some more info, just post me back, in this thread. :p

SPINSTERWUN, thanks for the help.

I'm having my computer built as we speak. It's going to be an AMD XP1600, ASUS mobo w/o audio, 40 gig 7200 r.p.m. H.D., and I'm only going for S.B. Live for starters. Later I'll add an Echo Mia for audio and use S.B. for midi. I have Cakewalk Home Studio 9 which I'll use for a while and either upgrade to the latest H.S. or maybe go with ntracks.

What I was wanting to do was to be able to do fader adjustments on a small mixer rather than using the mouse on my computer.

Back