Outboard Mastering w/the Korg D1600

tbabes

Here's our situation. I have a Korg D1600 with unbalanced 1/4" master outs. I want to send the final mix through a stereo compressor (Avalon 747) and then to an outboard CD burner (HHB BurnIt Plus) but of course, there's a catch. As mentioned earlier, the D1600 has unbalanced 1/4" master outs; the Avalon 747 only has XLR balanced ins. The HHB BurnIt Plus also has XLR balanced ins.

If I use a balanced 1/4" TRS to XLR cable from the D1600 to the Avalon 747, I lose half the signal. If I use an unbalanced 1/4" to XLR cable (why do they make such a device anyway?) I'm thinking that will be just as bad - there's still no "cold" line for the XLR. So what to do?

I am giving serious consideration to running the mix from the D1600 via unbalanced 1/4" to my preamp (a DBX 586) and then to the Avaolon 747 via XLR and then to the CD writer via XLR. Other than throwing away the D1600 or using a direct box to balance the signal, what should I do? I have the Avalon, so I want to use the darn thing!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Brian

www.mp3.com/ossifers

High!

I saw some kind of 1/4" to XLR adapters with built-in transformers - perhaps this would be a cheap way? Don't know how they sound, though...

OTOH, if your wires are short, try to throw away the 'cold' - you just won't have any noise cancellation so be careful with lights a.s.o. and you'll loose 6dB. It should be worth a try at least...

Ciao

Axel

Back