Outboard dbx NR unit

The dbx 224X was a solid unit if you wanted something that will work with any consumer cassette deck or open reel unit.

The last version they made of it was the "DS" series which had a pretty funky set of LED meters on it. The previous versions were more bare bones looking with just a few push buttons on the face.

Cheers! :)

I'm looking at a 222 and an NX-40. This will be for my TEAC 4300SX. The cassette portas already have dbx built in.

I've read bad reviews of the NX-40. I think that may have been at Geraslutz though, where you''ll get bad reviews of just about anything that doesn't start with Neve or Studer....

The 140 series seem to go for pretty good prices too, and they are type ii. I've not used one, but was looking at that for my 3300.

I'm looking at a 222 and an NX-40. This will be for my TEAC 4300SX. The cassette portas already have dbx built in.

I've used NX-40's in the past when I had an A3340S deck and they were OK but didn't have as wide a frequency response as the 224X and also seemed a bit more prone to pumping and breathing artifacts.

The 222 is a much older unit and I have no experience with it. I can only assume dbx had solid technical reasons to upgrade it to the 224 series but I don't know that as a fact.

Cheers! :)

I was thinking the "X" was the rack mounted option??? I could be wrong, but seems like I saw that somewhere.

The dbx 140x would be my choice for Type-II. It's the later generation half-rack... looks like the 150x, which is the Type-I version. There's also a 140 full-rack, but IMO the 140x is the best they made. It's simultaneous encode/decode so you can listen to the decoded signal off the repro head. Some models will only do one or the other, encode or decode, so you would need two stereo units with some. This makes the x-series a good choice. It sounds great too.

All of the units I looked at were simultaneous encode/decode. I just scored a 224X for $51. Thanks again, guys! :)

Back