Outboard compression!

notredamer0789

Nashville Rocker
Hi all, next week I'm taking the plunge and getting some new outboard gear... along with the other signal processing, preamps, ect. I'm going to purchase a new (maybe more than one) compressor--for now. I'm looking at the ART Pro VLA II. I have played with this comp a bit and I love it as a mid-range outboard component. It's got a smooth sound, but I can still smash the drums if I want. It's great that it has dual channels, so with it only being $299 I can afford two prbly. What do you guys think? I'd like something that I could run 4 channels into at one time and preferably something less than $850 combined.

The VLA's are pretty cool if you find the good ones (it took me three units to find one that matched up reasonably well). FMR's FNC's would be very high on a very short list of stereo units that are amazingly decent for freakishly cheap...

I have a VLA II and I like it. I wouldn't get two units though. Haven't heard any reviews yet but the Golden Age comp54 looks really interesting to me for $399

I bought a bunch of ART stuff back in the mid 90's and it was not very good. Perhaps they've improved it over the years, but if they have not, I would stay away from it. On the other hand... if you've messed around with one and you like what it's doing for you, then that's what counts!

drawmer make some good high mid range outboard gear and i use the mx30 at college its just what you want it can give you some nice even comression for vocals and guitar but if you want to do some hard compression for drums or bass it will do that aswell it also gives a really nice tone if you drive it hard i would go for that if i were you man. although that ART are very good with preamps so i can imagine that the colour you get out of the ART Pro VLA II would be better than the MX30

Back