Outboard Audio Interface vs. Normal

flourish

I am trying to understand what the benefits of an "outboard audio interface" (Mbox) would be over a normal mic pre and internal sound card. Or, are there benefits of normal over outboard? Here are 2 scenarios I am looking at:

M-Audio DMP3 ($160)
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 ($100)
N-Track 4.0 ($75)
---
Total: $335

Digidesign Mbox
ProTools LE
---
Total: $450

Does the Mbox provide lower latency? Are there other benefits that the Mbox would provde that option 1 wouldn't? I am trying to learn and figure out what to do...

Thanks fellow musicians!!

flourish said:
I am trying to understand what the benefits of an "outboard audio interface" (Mbox) would be over a normal mic pre and internal sound card.

I'm not familiar with the Mbox, but I'm assuming your question is PCI vs Firewire or USB??

Between PCI and Firewire there should be no difference at all and in the future I would probably prefer to go Firewire (less messing around with the computer). If you get a good card and have a good computer then latency should not be an issue at all.

Latency is either software based or due to the processing of data on the computer (meaning your processor and memory or a combination there of).

The new Firewire standard 1349b (the old standard was 1349a) is 800Mbs (That's 800 Megabytes per second) which is 8 times faster than your cable internet connection. PCI cards essentially talk at the speed of light (that's one of the forms of light - well sorta) which should be enough for whatever you do either way.

So, latency issues come in due to software limitations, or due to the speed your computer can process information. The biggest issues come when you are recording 24 tracks at 24bit depth and 96Khz (the least of which will be your latency).

If you are recording 2 - 12 tracks most semi-pro audio cards will have a very low latency (un-detactable to the human ear). If you are going to do something more intensive than say 12 tracks then invest in an RME and you won't regret it.

Back