our website. . . suggestions???

the dude

Please check out www.blackfall.com. This website is only a few days old and is our first "offifial" website for the band. Please let me know what you think is good and bad about the site and if it is user friendly!! One guy in the band did all of the design and shit and he is pretty new to it, but we are always looking to improve on it! Thanks for any and all suggestions! The DUDE!

I´m impressed, looks very good to me, very professional and ´official´ indeed.

Only I am losing the left menu when clicking on something on it starting from home. I have to use the back button to get back and would like to have the menu remaining there (maybe being a little thinner).

AHHH, good suggestion F_sia. The guy who is doing it is learning as he goes so that might be a good project for him. Then, you wouldn't have to "go back" from every page you visit! thanks for your kind words.

Excellent! I love the artwork and the way it's laid out. Effective use of the space without being too "cluttered".

I agree about the menu though... I think people in general are real used to having a menu on the left... I see two possible approches: Frames or Tables:

Frames: You'd have a frame across the top for the banner and a fram down the left for the menue etc (I hate frames personally)

Tables: Use a table to seperate the menu from the content, then just copy/paste the menu code onto ALL the pages... i believe if you use a "preload" command on the first page, it will reduce load time for the menu on the subsequent pages at they'll be pre-loaded into memory.

Tell your designer to keep at it... he has a good eye and a lot of potential.

- Tanlith -

Thansk TANLITH, this is really new to him AND us, as a band, so thanks for your knowledge. we will put it to good use! later

Some of the pages have just a small amount of text that requires scrolling to be seen. I would try to shorten up the text by one or two lines to avoid scrolling pages where you don't need them. There also seems to be a lot of blank space below some of the text which has the same effect.

Site looks great though; professional appearance and fairly easy to maneuver through.

leavings said:
Some of the pages have just a small amount of text that requires scrolling to be seen. I would try to shorten up the text by one or two lines to avoid scrolling pages where you don't need them. There also seems to be a lot of blank space below some of the text which has the same effect.

Site looks great though; professional appearance and fairly easy to maneuver through.

I believe the page was configured for screen settings of 1024x768 which looks good with default browser settings. However, if you've added anything to your browser menue or button bar (like some of those chat programs do) then it might send the format off a bit causing scrolling to be needed.

There's some code you can add to your main page that will check the user's current screen settings then load a different set of pages (that's if you want to do the extra work). Here's what I did for my old page (offline now---getting an overhaul)

User types in URL and my index.htm loads
∙ index.htm checks screen settings; finds it's 1024x768 and loads \1024\index.htm (index.htm also returns the user back to the page they linked from)

∙ \1024\index.htm is configured to open in a new window that is "stripped" it has no menu bar or button bar - it's optimised to use all the screen space. Window is maximized by default. And is forced to have focus (puts it on top - but only till the user decideds otherwise)

∙ When user decideds to leave site they can either click the X in the corner to close the window, or click the "close this window" text that appears on every screen.

∙ User clicks "Close this window" and is returned to the page they linked from.

Once I'm done fixing my site up some I'll show you what I mean.

- Tanlith -

Hey thanks Tanlith for the suggestions. . . and just so everyone knows, the site IS a work in progress but I think is well on its way to being finished. thanks again!

Wow, if this guy is just 'learning' and starting out then he has a great future designing sites ahead of him.

Yep, I'd just agree that there needs to be a permanent navigation bar on the left of the screen, and maybe a consistent banner across the top.

Great use of grafix and like the b&w logo.

Oh, one extra thing I spotted. When he inserts a link to an external site (like the one to the phoyography site - nice band pics BTW you guys look the business) IMO it's best to open up links in a new browser window for that site, otherwise you are leading people away from your own site and onto someone elses and they may not bother clicking the back button to return. if you open it in a new window, when they have finished viewing the other site and close the window they automaticaly see your site again.

Last edited:
Back