Our next big hit - work in progress

blkdog7

What Pro Tools *****?
Our next big hit (kidding!) - work in progress. Alt-Rocker. Good mix? Bad?

Ok, so maybe it will not be a hit, but it's or newest recorded song... :)

What do you guys think of this mix so far? Do you think the vocals are too loud?

I'd love any comments regarding the arrangement, performances, recording quality, mix quality, etc.

Thanks!

- www.myspace.com/socialxray

Last edited:
Listening now on earphones at work..
Like the choon. Would say the drum's aren't grabbing the attention. Programmed I'm assuming, letting the song down in a big way, sucking the dynamics out of it.

But.. a great song, love the hook.

Listening now on earphones at work..
Like the choon. Would say the drum's aren't grabbing the attention. Programmed I'm assuming, letting the song down in a big way, sucking the dynamics out of it.

But.. a great song, love the hook.

I am using a single drum loop for now. Our drummer will play the drums on the final track and it will have more dynamics.

Thanks for the feedback and thanks for checking it out!

The first thing that jumps out at me is the "space" in the mix. The guitars/vocals don't convince me that they are in the same place as the drums. I think the vocals could stand to be a little lower in the mix or perhaps not as dry. Right now they sound like they are sitting on top of everything. The singer is pitchy in a few places but maybe it is acceptable for the style? Some phrasings remind me of weird Al. I think the distorted guitar should pop a little more when it comes in. I don't feel more energy in that section than say the clean part if that makes any sense? Song was a little repetitive for my taste but it sounds like a good start.

The first thing that jumps out at me is the "space" in the mix. The guitars/vocals don't convince me that they are in the same place as the drums. I think the vocals could stand to be a little lower in the mix or perhaps not as dry. Right now they sound like they are sitting on top of everything. The singer is pitchy in a few places but maybe it is acceptable for the style? Some phrasings remind me of weird Al. I think the distorted guitar should pop a little more when it comes in. I don't feel more energy in that section than say the clean part if that makes any sense? Song was a little repetitive for my taste but it sounds like a good start.

Thanks for the useful feedback! Based on yours and others feedback I am going to work on this song some more this weekend. I need to change the song up more, I agree. It does feel too repetitive.

Thanks to everyone that has posted feedback so far. I truly appreciate it. PLease keep the feedback coming. It is all very very helpful.

Nice stuff. I like the music. When that distorted guitar comes in I hear it getting a lot louder and quieting down for the verses. The vocals seem very upfront and dry, doesn't sound like it's really in the same room. Cool song definitely!:)

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Based on everyone's comments... I made some changes to the mix. The new file is here:

Changes include:

Vocals Down
Vocals now with hard panned reverb
Crunchy guitars more up front
Changed some of the drum loops (this is only temporary cause my drummer will be performing these sections. I am not too concerned about the drum loops right now. I know they seem out of time in places. Not sure why. These damn REX loops should sync up with Pro Tools!!)

The second mix is balanced better, although I think you might have pulled the vocals back a tad too much. Distorted guitar now jumps out like it should. This song reminds of of Bike's Circus Kids

Some phrasings remind me of weird Al.

LOL...well now I HAVE to listen.

Cool...gives me more of a Wheezer vibe.

I'd tune the vocal. It's fine when you're kinda' honking on it, but during the verses when you're singing more clean, it needs some work. I guess I could suggest retracking instead of tuning, but I like the energy of the vocal a lot.

I really like the droning guitar thing on the right.

The drums suck, but I understand. They should go nuts during the choruses and the bridge/solo. At least put a ride in there somewhere, lol.

I really do like what you've done...it could be great with some drum help and a little bit of vocal tweaking.

Ok, so maybe it will not be a hit, but it's or newest recorded song... :)

What do you guys think of this mix so far? Do you think the vocals are too loud?

I'd love any comments regarding the arrangement, performances, recording quality, mix quality, etc.

Thanks!

- www.myspace.com/socialxray

Thanks again for the feedback. I think I will push the vocals a hair louder than the most recent posted mix. I agree.

We have a lot to do to this song still. This is only two sessions worth of work. We have many more ahead of us. Thanks for all that have commented. It has been beyond helpful!

a little to much bass and air on the vocals. It gets better when the song starts. How much compression is on his voice maybe a tad to much.

They sound flat... they sound good but flat not like alive.

Thanks to all that replied with feedback.

I have gone ahead and backed off some of the compression on the vocals. I also turned them up a little.

Let me know what you think!

I also played with some of the drum loops. Again, these are all temporary. My drummer will be playing the drums.

Back