Other than fixing the timing, what else could I do to improve this mix?

PaddyGordon

Moving along - First mix 17/7 by PaddyGordonProductions on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Recorded using a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Octopre dynamic and Universal Audio LA-610

Guitars/Bass are virtual amps through the LA-610.
Vocals recorded through a TLM 102 going through the LA-610

Drums have an SM58 inside the kick, an SM27 outside, SM58 (Lo-z) under the snare, SM57 on top of Snare, 2x SM58s on the Toms. 2x sE 2200a's as overheads, and a Rode NT1a as a room mic.

The band were all under 16 years of age, so I think they're decent for what it is, just some drum fills to tighten up.

Cheers!

I'd brighten and pan the snare a little. It seems a tad nasal and distracting in the center. Also could probably sit a little lower in the mix, especially at the end climax. Snare volume does wonders for helping drive a song's rhythm, but I think it gets to be too much. Consider adding a little room, some of the tom fills sound very flat.

The bass sounds like it's burying the mix. I'd EQ down the loud low-mids and then automate the volume lower when it's working as backup. It obviously needs to stay somewhat at the forefront when it's providing a main melody in the intro. Especially at the breakdown at 4:40, it doesn't even really sound musical. Just a constant humming while you try to listen to the guitars. You know, since you said it's through a virtual amp, I'd say just go ahead and approach it from a different angle. Try modeling it with more character and top.

I think you needs some verb on that repetitive guitar riff. The dryness kind of makes it more annoying I think. The more you can blend it in and not bring too much attention to it, the better. I remember loving to sit on riffs like that when I was their age too, haha.

Overheads, vocals, and rhythm guitars sound pretty great to me.

Last edited:
Back