Otari MX70 removing pinch roller?

glenn taylor

Hi Gents, I picked up a 16 track 1" Otari MX70 last week. It like to be in very good shape. I removed the pinch roller screw on cap,but the pinch roller won't pry off. There is a horseshoe shaped clamp on the top side of the pinch roller. Anyone know how to remove this? I'd like to have Terry build me a new pinch roller. Glenn.:p

That's a snap-ring.

Is it like the one in the middle with the holes at the ends, or more like the c-shape on the right?

untitled copy.jpg

The middle one with the holes requires snap-ring pliers with tips that fit into the holes and then the pliers open out as they are squeezed, and the ring opens when squeezed.....or sometimes there are snap-rings that fit push/lock to the outside, and then you need snap-ring pliers to function like normal ones, where they close when squeezed, making the ring smaller, and it comes out.

BM-SRP-001_is.jpg

The one on the right can be popped off with a flat-blade screwdriver, just don't bend/deform it too much. Push equally at both ends, and it should pop off.

Maybe someone here with an MX-70 can give you more specifc info....maybe there's some other way to remove it.
I have an MX-80, and on mine the pinch roller slides off once you remove the top disk, which only has the screw. There's no snap or "c" retaining ring.

I believe it is the last one that you don't need the special pliers for. Terry does great work. He did the roller on my MX70. I have tons of parts btw. 16 track heads, cards, bias card, remote, cabling AND Tape (NOS 499) if you need anything.

Back