Otari mx5050 repro level calibration help

moogmymellotron

Hi all,

I'm searching for info on how to properly calibrate an otari mx5050, mark I (8shd, the 2 unit model) I have an Mrl tape and have calibrated a few machines in the past but I have absolutely no idea where to begin w this unit due to all the "otari only" terms used (wtf is srl?)

Any tips on how to set up the basic repro cal? Thank you

Yea I've read through that many a times. I have a fairly decent grasp on general alignment but this otari unit just has me stumped due to its proprietary setup, I have no clue where access to repro level is, usually on most decks there's a "repro level" pot clear as day somewhere on the unit. Seems all I have is sel. Rep level control. Any otari users able to help, really eager to get this machine squared away

Not sure if this will help...but here are the Otari alignment proceedures for a 5050 BII/BIII, though I think they apply to the entire 5050 family.

(It's a 12MB PDF file...so give it a couple of minutes to load)

Otari Alignment Procedures

Thanks miroslav for that link, Ive just about had it w this machine. Gah!

Where I am stumped is on the location of the repro level trimpot...all over adjustments are either on the rear chasis or on the front panel, I find it hard to assume that this would be the only pot locate on the inside of the unit. Either way I'll try opening up an amp card...just to make sure.

I am just so irritated w this unit. I've just about given up on my week long endevor to align this machine :(

I don't know about your machine...but the Repro pots are right next to the Rec pots on my deck's card....just like it shows in the calibration procedures (see page 10).

Hi

Reading through the downloaded manual in Miroslav's post, I see that it is VR106 (ch1) and VR206 (ch2). These pots are located between the Rec Level and the Test Osc pots in the diagram on page 10.

The only reason I can think for them not being labelled as well as the others would be to deter casual adjustment.

Good luck!

David Ollard

Hey miroslav and thinbrownline, thanks for posting.

Unfortunately, I have tre older markI version where the amp cards and tape deck are independently housed from one another. All available pots on the chassis don't seem to align the repro level but I do see them in the uploadedmanual. I'm taking myachine apart right now and I'm just hoping that for some wild reason they'll be on the interior of the housing chassis (though I highly doubt it)

The calibration procedure even in that mSnual leaves out how one would calibrate the repro even on the newer otari machines...is this dome sort of trade secret?

Damn otaris ;)

Mmmmm...in the manual I posted, page 8, I believe, has the step-by-step for calibrating the Repro, and that manual is for the later/newer decks. Mine is the last 2-track Otari made, the BIII.

The procedure should be the same for your deck...though of course, you need to first find the Repro adjustment pots. :)

Yep, so no trim pots on the inside either.

So this srl switch stands for " standard reference level" I wonder if that's th mysterious repro level...although I do clearly see a repro eq pot.

Do you have to calibrate the srl for playback or is that a factory preset? What reference flux do you have your machine aligned to?

The SRL is the tied to the switch on the faceplate, next to the Output knobs....so then when you calibrate the SRL for +4dBm, and you flip that SRL switch on the front panel to on...the Output knobs no longer function, and your output is set at +4dBm.
The Repro adjustment is done first...then the SRL level calibration.

I used 250 nWb/m for my BIII

Hey miroslav thanks for all the help, however...I feel this is hopeless. There is no labeled repro adjustment anywhere! *sigh*

All of the available trim pots I gave are:

Bias/cal
Hi rec eq
Lo eq
Srl/cal
Rep eq
Sel rep level
Rec level
Rec cal
Osc cal

And that's it, I opened her up and no hidden pots anywhere. I thought perhaps the srl WAS the repro level but doesn't seem to be correct all I get on output is a distorted mess :/

"otari manual"

If you eMail me at leelandwhite2001@yahoo.com, I will give you a pdf copy of the MX-5050 MKIII. I believe the electrical specs should be the same. It covers sufficient detail into how you may be able to at least calibrate a MK III. Bias osc, frequency and MOL have been around since the late 1970's, so I would presume that the calibration probably is no different on the MKIII.

Hi all,

I'm searching for info on how to properly calibrate an otari mx5050, mark I (8shd, the 2 unit model) I have an Mrl tape and have calibrated a few machines in the past but I have absolutely no idea where to begin w this unit due to all the "otari only" terms used (wtf is srl?)

Any tips on how to set up the basic repro cal? Thank you

Back