Otari 1" 16 track MX-70 users, . . help please!

studiodrum

Hey Guys,
I can use a little help from you guys that have experience recording on Otari MX series recorders. I have an opportunity to record on a 1" 16 track Otari MX-70. . .and I'm totally unfamiliar with this type of recorder, and format.

So, I was just wondering if any of you guys are using any type of noise reduction, like Dolby, or dbx, . . and if so, what type of NR units work best with this type of machine, . .

.. or do you not need any type of NR when recording with a MX-70.
Thanks in advance. . .! :rolleyes:

studiodrum said:
Hey Guys,
I can use a little help from you guys that have experience recording on Otari MX series recorders. I have an opportunity to record on a 1" 16 track Otari MX-70. . .and I'm totally unfamiliar with this type of recorder, and format.

So, I was just wondering if any of you guys are using any type of noise reduction, like Dolby, or dbx, . . and if so, what type of NR units work best with this type of machine, . .

Thanks in advance. . .! :rolleyes:

In a professional application, dbx or Dolby would normally have been used there without a second thought. Too noisy without it. Did you not know that already?

Tim

studiodrum said:

Try it without NR and see how you like it first.

Also, make sure the MX-70 has been alligned and calibrated recently, for the type of tape you're using.

It would be nice to have mx-70 and enjoy all the "noise" coming out of it, but since I don't have it never had and never will so I've tried to find something in that regard on the net.
Have ran into this studio-site: http://www.compoundstudio.com/
There are few audio samples of recordings there: (click there on "MP3s" in the menue).
So I've eMailed the producer with questions about which recordings were tracked using mx70 machine and whether or not NR was used.
Anthony Arvizu responded and said that: Codpiece, Steve Carson Band (that sounded really good to me), Whistler - were tracked with MX-70 (15ips) with no NR. Then - ProTools - and mixed on their Magnum board.
He said it's cool to post this on the board, so for what it worth.
Here are couple of quotes from him:
"Codpiece, Steve Carson Band , Whistler were tracked to the MX70 and then transfered to Tools for Over dubs and mixing, broken out across our TAC Magnum console."
"...for the record, the MX70 Rocks! I have made many records on it esp. back before I entered "Digital Hellzone" for better or worse.
Recently tracked Marc Ford's (Black Crowes, Burning Tree, Ben Harper) latest CD on it(Shrapnel Records, not yet released).
Again transfering into tools (at 44.1/ 24bit) for minor dubs and mixing."

Thanks for the responses guys!

So, I guess that I can use either dbx, or Dolby, . .right?

So, what specific units would work with an Otari 1" recorder, cause I'm sure there are certain model NR units that only work with specific recorders. . .right?

. . and can I just track with the NR on specific tracks, or would I need to record with all 16 channels of NR? Thanks again for the help guys. . .

studiodrum said:
Thanks for the responses guys!

So, I guess that I can use either dbx, or Dolby, . .right?

So, what specific units would work with an Otari 1" recorder, cause I'm sure there are certain model NR units that only work with specific recorders. . .right?

. . and can I just track with the NR on specific tracks, or would I need to record with all 16 channels of NR? Thanks again for the help guys. . .

You have to buy used at this point. eBay or whoever. Be prepared to spend up to $2000 for 16 channels. These are in high demand on the used market. It is far easier to find any tape deck than a 16 channel Dolby or DBX unit.

And, yes, you can only use noise reduction on selected tracks.

Good Luck.

I echo Dr Zee's interesting post and also I'd like to add that even though I don't have an MX-70, it'd be pretty ridiculous to assume a less than stellar heads and electronics on this type of 1" 16 track unit and thus I'd be surprised if the S/N ratio and all sound parameters were subpar. Quite the contrary I'd think. I still say calibrate and align the unit for a good tape, something like an RMGI SM911 and try it without noise reduction. I think it would sound great and what's a tiny bit of hiss among friends ? :D ;)

Back