OSP DK-7 (Cheap kick mic bundle)

Vagodeoz

One-Man-Band
Has anyone tried this brand?
It seems to be a new and good. I was checking out their 50$ kick mike, but with 100$ more I get a full case, 4 more dynamics and 2 condensers...
Or any recommendations on any similar priced package?

I don't know if I'm buying it.
First I want to know about the mikes, then I will look for a trustable store.
Why?

There's a place here locally that's kinda sorta big in my state. They sell online and also on eBay. They have a line of their own products called OSP (Official Sigler Product). It's worse than Behringer, if that's possible. Just throwing it out there...

However, the OSP road cases and rack drawers aren't too bad. But I wouldn't buy anything else that was OSP.

Then there's OSP that makes the 500 format rack chassis. Totally different company...but I don't think they make cheap mics.

I have a set of these, there pretty good I like them at least , but the overhead condensers for some reason on mine aren't loud enough , could be because of my cable but whatever. I would recommend it for starters but not to much for pro's.

the key phrase here is "cheap drum mic pack."

i have one (CAD's "premium"), and i've NEVER heard anyone with good recordings say that they were happy with a cheap pack for long. they'll do the job, but you'll soon be looking to upgrade, which makes it a sunk cost.

the only drum mic pack you should even consider is the one from earthworks for $4500, and that's just because we're dealing in the "mic pack" realm (the condensers are omni, so if your room sucks, forget it).

start with a good pair of sdc overheads (i love my 603s), a good kick mic, and a 57 (which i'm guessing you already have) on snare. go from there. search the forums for kick, snare, and OH options--there are lots to choose from, and you'll find a fairly small variety amongst the consensus.

i wish i hadn't wasted my money on that mic pack. it took me all of one year to upgrade, and once i did i found that the total cost of the 4 mics i bought was only $30 more than i originally spent on that crappy pack, yet the sound is 100 times better.

CAD pack: kbm12 for kick--terrible. (2) icm417 OH--not terrible, but "meh." (3) tsm-411 on toms--somewhere between terrible and meh. cost=$240.

(2) mxl 603 (new pair $110 on ebay) in recorderman--marvelous. audix d6 ($160 on ebay) on kick--perfect. 57 on snare--same as it ever was (better than "meh" but we can do better--i'm still experimenting with this one). cost= $270.

i used the 57 on snare in both configurations, so that part is cost-neutral.

moral: don't buy mics in preconfigured packs. all 6 of mine are sitting in their case, and that's where they'll stay until i sucker someone into buying them from me...hey that gives me an idea...wanna buy my mic pack? i'll give you a great deal on them! :D:D:D

A word about the Cad kick mic

I owned one of the Cad kick mics several years ago and it was very good (I lucked out). This mic was damaged beyond repair in an accident in my home studio when a cabinet fell over on it and the boom stand it was on crushing that little soldier. I replaced it with another one and this one didn't perform at all and I would use it only on occasion as a throat mic for a djembe (It gave a muffled low end signal only). A few weeks ago I was going through all of my mics (I own a lot of mics and quite a few good kick mics) and I was tempted to discard it and/or take it apart and salvage a few pieces when I discovered the problem with this mic.
The capsule was not properly seated and the connections were all screwed up. I did a little bit of work on it, re-seated the capsule and insulated and re-soldered the connections. It's not a horrible mic anymore, but it still isn't my "go to" mic for anything.
I see them as having terrible quality control and very poor factory assembly problems. I know many that like some of their higher end mics (though I don't use any of them), but I am turned off to their products by my experience with this one. I know it's not fair to judge a manufacturer from one bad experience, but I feel if they have such disregard for their lower priced products, what kind of attention do they give to their top-of-the-line products?
Audio Technica (under their company DR) produces a very inexpensive drum mic package that isn't "top-of-the-line" but it performs okay, especially for the price. I had forgotten to bring my mics with me on an out of town gig and I bought these in a local Guitar Center and they served me well for that job (I didn't have overheads, but was able to borrow a pair of those Behringer room measuring condensers that were a bit noisy, but they worked).
Just because somebody can't afford more expensive mics, doesn't excuse a company from producing unusable pieces of crap just so that musicians can have some mics and cables to put on stands. They should work.
For about $75 an Audio Technica Pro 25 works well enough to buy and for about $125 you can get the ATM 25 which is my favorite kick mic (a superb quality for the price).
As a rule MOST bundles are not worth it unless you are buying the high priced bundles from Shure or Audix. Nady and Cad sucks and DR is usable.
If you're looking to just throw money away, please send it to me, I can use it. :)

Back