OS choices (or ways to deprive Bill of $$)

Rhoadz

Does anybody have multiple machines with different OS's on them in there set-up? (networked or not)

Is any body using linux or BeOS?

What do you think of these "alternative" environments?

With mac coming back into the home market (slowly but surely in my opinion :) and linux and BeOS scratching out a following i would like to hear opinions about there usefulness in home audio.

let the platform wars begin... :)

i've come across two people who've tried to partition their systems with 95/98 and linux. both failed dismally and had to reformat/re-install. something i wouldn't want to do on my working system (unless you have a day to back up all of your files)i NEVER recommend any of that stuff like Partition Magic or anything that claims to re-partition your drive without reformatting it. i've heard of very few success stories with them. the only full blown linux installation i've seen is a proprietary internet box i've been putting up that does indeed STAY UP. (it runs a mail server/firewall combo) i have yet to reboot them or see them crash (Dunno what's going on inside there)so from the somewhat limited exposure i've had to the os it seems to be pretty stable.

staz

I've always resisted recording on my PC. Since I deal with computer problems for a living, apparently like a lot of people on this site, the last thing I want to do when I get home is deal with with a bunch of problems caused by a squirrely operating system... that should tick somebody off ;-).
But, using Linux.... I might be able to get behind that. All of my experiences with Linux have been positive. The trick would be to find acceptable hardware and software from vendors that support it.

I've run both Linux and Sun Solaris 2.6. While they are VERY robust operating systems, they're a big fat pain in the butt. Companies like Red Hat are helping to smooth the install process of Linux, but I think it's going to be a while before you see decent hardware support.

This is all going to be dependant on the system you're going to install on of course. If your system is fully supported by Linux, then you might just give it a try. It's definately fun.

My last experience was basically 3 days of pulling teeth before I FINALLY got it running. Then I sat there feeling all proud, but thinking "now what?" There's not nearly the software support, though there is some great software. Problem is...where do you get it? Most stores in my area don't carry much Linux software. Unless you have a real fast internet connection, plan on spending many a night on downloads. :)

The main benefit I had using Linux was that I was writing code that had to run on an Alpha OSF/2 server and it was pretty easy to port.

Basically what I've decided is that if you're not a computer guru, then you're going to spend more time screwing with Linux than you will be using it. I've seen people spend entire weekends trying to get some wild window manager working :)

Oh, and no, there's absolutely no problem booting between Linux and Windows. Linux comes with a nice little boot manager that's a real bitch to figure out at first.

Macintosh: if you even remotely enjoy working in this environment, then we will surely disagree.

Slackmaster 2000

Back