Original tune, How's the mix?......

leaningpine

This song is called "Introspection". I recorded it months ago but just laid the vocals down this week, let me know what you think of the mix AND what monitors or stereo/computer speakers you listened on.
Anyway... here it is:

Listening on AKG K241 Headphones.
I like it! The vocals have nice treatment. I like the overlapping - RAMI does this too for good effect...
The balance seems good between all the instruments and the vocals are the focal point.
Good tune too - catchy and rockin...

Listening on cheap cans (does it really matter which ones? Just that they're not earbuds.)

Sounds pretty solid. The vocal effect is cool, and the instruments are balanced with each other.

During the verses, the cymbals sometimes sounded kind of distant, like they were way across the room from the rest of the band. Drums are not my forte, so take that with a grain of salt.

Like the way you mixed the two vocal parts on the refrain. I would strongly suggest losing the "reverse" effect on the vox after 0:16... it gets tiresome at that point and isn't needed with the rest of the instruments kicking in. I'd also suggest cutting down the amount of echo/reverb you have on the vox during the verses... it pushes them too far back sonically. Vocals sound great overall... I'd toy around with adding a tiny bit of chorus if you haven't already to give them an even bigger sound. Digging the tune a lot - it would be a perfect "driving with the windows down on a nice day" song.

Great performance all the way around, guitars, drums, vocals, the whole gamut. Great job. Your drums sound pretty flat. I'd recommend re-tuning your snare and tightening it. Make sure your heads aren't pitting, or you'll get a very dull sound. The low-end of your kick was nice and beefy, but the high-end click wasn't really present. Your vocal sound also had presence issues. Sounded like you were singing in the background with very little "bite". For a song like this (which, I thought was pretty good), getting those vocals up and in-your-face would help the impact of the song greatly.

Also - get rid of the effect at the beginning unless you really, really like it. I don't think it adds anything to the song. Maybe have it as a precursor to the opening line before the vocals actually come in, but then kill it.

Anyway.. Not too shabby, man. Keep it up.

Yeah..like poetic said....drums could use some attention...snare needs some more pop, kick some more slap...As I listen more I am realising that everything seems to lack just a little bit of AIR...presence ...what ever you wanna call it..REAL COOL effects...I like the effects at the begining... maybe a just a tad too much..but I like it..love what the guitar does at the end of the solo...howd you do that?...I would prefer to hear the lead guitar with a little less chorus...like to hear a less processed sound.

Back