Original songs, any tips?

Leinad

I had to write some songs for a module at university, and it was my first attempt of trying to produce some tracks properly, they're pretty rushed and the singing's better on the ballad-ish songs but it does the job. Any input on improvement would be greatly appreciated :)

You might want to warm up your voice more. There are some pitch issues clearly present on the vocals.

The songwriting is great.

My friend was supposed to be singing for me but he bailed last minute so i had to sing and i'm not a singer by any means. Thanks about the songwriting though :). Are the mixes okay?

In my ears the mix is great, much better than I can do as of yet as I tend to squash them with compression and ruin them with EQ.

So yeah, great job with the mix and songwriting, but work on your pitch.

Mix is great! Instruments are great! Vocals are - well vocals....lol...but they have a great tone.! What mics are you using?

Take the time to listen & then re reecord the vocals. The tone is good but the pitchiness distratcts from the quite good song. Get in some prac. sessions and redo the vocal - even if you do a multi take comp or sing a phrase at a time.
The aim is to get the song heard and people turn off pretty quickly when the vox are all over the place.

Ido1957: I used the much hated Samson C01u with a fair amount of EQ and some compression. I have an interface now so i'm getting a CAD or an SE sometime soon.

rayc: I tried comping but i couldn't get a good flow, any tips?

and any tips for vocal warm ups anyone?

I thought the guitar sounded pretty good.

The keyboard sound is OK, but I think a more natural piano sound would fit a fit a little better.

Something a little strange sounding at about 1:58. Like a gak on a guitar stab maybe? Little pops in a few spots (e.g., 3:29)

The song needs a change-up or somthing. It just kind of stays in a narrow path.

As has been said, the vocal could be a little better.

On the little guitar thing that comes in during the outro... I think you could probably get a better take than that. The playing is a little "reserved" - like you were trying to get a take without making a mistake.

I agree the piano sound isn't great but it was the best i could do with free soundfonts. Yeah it was getting late and i wanted to get it finished so i made sure that guitar thing was right but sacrificed the emotion in it. Thanks for the tips!

Back