Ordering preventative parts?

Hey folks!

I realized recently that I have a whole lot of cheap, mostly Tascam tape recorders and an extremely, extremely limited knowledge of how to fix them. I'm 95% sure there's no tech within several hours of me. I'm mechanically inclined and not afraid to work on stuff, as long as I have some sort of guide to do it.

With that being said, I kinda feel like I should go ahead an order some bits and pieces while Tascam still has them available. What tends to go out most often on machines, the belts? I'm currently rocking:

Tascam 388
Tascam 424mkII
Tascam 488mkII
Tascam 238
Vestax MR66

I'm extremely fortunate to say they all work great (KNOCK ON WOOD) and I've never had to do anything to any of them besides demag and head cleaning stuff. I dread the day that one of them stops working. I know it might be a bit of a stupid, broad question... but, what breaks? Does it make sense to have a small stockpile of replacement parts? Thinking about driving 5 hours with my 388 in the back seat doesn't sound like fun. Or, hell, any of my machines!

I'd start with the service manuals, which you can usually get from Teac in Montebello.

Parts Department
TEAC America
7733 Telegraph Road
Montebello, CA 90640
Phone: 323-727-4840

From there, belts generally wear out. You could review the Tascam 388 story file here, for sweetbeats complete overhaul of a 388. Also, rubber parts get old either brittle or gooey and sticky, I don't know a good way to really shelf them out, but I'd suggest pinch rollers leave in what ever box/bag they came in and then store that with some kind of dessicant to keep out moisture. (I'm just guessing at that.) I've had to replace pinch rollers on two of my open reel decks as they turned all gooey and nasty. These can be rebuilt though.

you don't want to purchase belts until you need the. They can age.

what parts could you buy that you know you would need?

Enjoy what you have and keep them running as best you can.

Enjoy what you have and keep them running as best you can.

That's been the plan for the past couple years... I'm just starting to get worried that when they break, I won't be able to find the parts to fix them anymore. Maybe that's just something I need to accept...?

Here's a (stupid?) question: Does anyone make a 1/4" 8 track anymore? I feel like they don't or I would've known about it. I hope the hipsters make mid-fi reel to reel popular enough again that someone decides to produce one again, if only for a year or two. I could get it at a discount through work, and have a WARRANTY! I'd be so much less nervous.

There is usually enough units being broken down to yield parts, and then the wizards come up with ways to get around the impossible.

I believe the last 8 track 1/4" was the Tascam 388.

Don't expect much new until China starts flooding the maket with thier versions.

Back