Order of Operations

djdarwin

Hopefully this is a simple question...

I dont have any hardware. All software. Kinda sucks but what can you do on a budget? Im allready living off top ramen...

Lets say i am tracking vox, guitar, bass and drums.

On these 4 instruments what is the "correct" order of the following processes:

Compression, EQ and reverb.

Most will say there is no "correct order" but if you could look past that response and answer in "general" terms regarding the "general" or "average" situation it would really help me out.

Because i dont have hardware all of my tracks are recorded totaly dry. Then to make them sound better and sit in the mix better i use those tools stated above.

The problem is i dont know if i should EQ before compression... EQ, reverb and then apply compression...

You get the idea.

How do you guys typically order Compression, EQ and Reverb when processing Bass, Drums, Guitar and Vox?

I EQ my sound to the way I want it. Then I apply the compression to a sound that I like instead of EQing a compressed sound. If I use reverb I might throw it on last so I don't compress the reverb.

Reverb is typically the last effect in a chain. As far as the sequence for compression and EQ, you should try your chain both ways, listen carefully, evaluate and then decide for yourself which is better for that particular situation. If it sounds better, than it is better (to paraphrase Joe Meek).

Seriously, I've used them both ways depending upon the source and the context. YMMV.

One more time...

The general formula for the processing signal chain is:

FixEQ --> compression --> TweakEQ --> Reverb

with each link in the chain optional.

FixEQ = Eq to "fix" or correct the sound to what you generally want. This usually includes filters and notches for removing unwanted tones or characteristics, as well as taming lower-volume sounds that might otherwise be boosted by the compressor to unwanted levels.

TweakEQ = Final tweaks to sweeten or fine-tune the resulting compressed sound to taste.

Reverb: Reverb is reserved for last in the chain when used in the conventional manner to add ambience to the track or to place the track in a space. If one is instead using reverb as a special effect to modifiy the actual sound of the instrument or track in some funk way, and not just to put the track in a space, then that SFX reverb can be put in anywhere in the chain as needed.

G.

$ .02

what glen said....but would add to me its best to keep all time based effects to last not just reverbs....

SouthSIDE Glen said:
If one is instead using reverb as a special effect to modifiy the actual sound of the instrument or track in some funk way, and not just to put the track in a space, then that SFX reverb can be put in anywhere in the chain as needed.
If I may expand on this... One example of this would be to put a reverb on snare, followed by a gate and then a compressor. Not so big in modern recording, but some variations of this, w/o going back to the 80 "gushshshsh" sounding snares can still be used to a good effect.

dementedchord said:
what glen said....but would add to me its best to keep all time based effects to last not just reverbs....
Hmmm, dunno, sometimes it may be necessary to put a compressor after a chorus or flanger to tame resonant peaks.

i don't have a ton of experience with compression but when i use it, i typically do what southside glen said. eq for corrective stuff like rolling off the low's (i almost always cut here), compress to tame some peaks or smash things, and add some ambience if needed using reverb/delay. if i'm pretty close to what i want after using that chain, i might eq a bit after the compressor, before the reverb/delay, to boost something a bit. if the track is fighting another track, i might go back to the first equalizer on each track and make some room by cutting something. if my second eq settings bring out the sound of the compressor and i don't want that, i'll go back to the first eq or adjust the compression. during all this, i'm playing around with the track faders to see if what i really want is just a little more/less volume. after everything is sounding pretty decent, i usually tear it all down and start back from scratch while telling myself "you don't know what the hell you're doing do you?". :D :confused:

so my chain would look like:

eq > compressor > eq > reverb/delay > frustration > eq > compressor > eq > reverb/delay > getting closer > eq > compressor > eq > reverb/delay > damn i'm gettin' hungry > eq > compressor > eq > reverb/delay > screw eq, compression, reverb/delay, i wanna be a purist > retrack > eq > compressor > eq > reverb/delay...........................it's been going on and on like this for a long time now. i think i'm seeing some light at the end though. :D

the moral of my signal chain? experience goes a long way. my ears might be capable of producing some presentable tracks soon. :)

I EQ and then compress.
Just today I came upon a novel
situation for me where I had
to use a good amount of
de-essing and I experimented
where to put it.
I found that the de-esser was much more
effective after compression than
before it.

Back