Options for soundproofing the floor/wall of a home recording studio in a townhouse?

Idiomatic

Hello there! First of all, I'm new here and this is my first post, and I bet I posted this in the wrong forum, or will be told to get acquainted with the 'Search' feature. I apologize in advance, because I'm going to ask my questions anyways. :)

I am setting up a project studio inside the townhouse of a band I am recording. This project studio will include a small control room in a bedroom on the third floor, and a tracking room below on the second floor, which will double as a rehearsal room for the band. On the other side of one wall is another townhouse unit occupied by a family or something. On the opposite wall is nothing, since it is an end unit. Below the second floor tracking room is a small business unit that is rarely occupied and not a huge concern.

My main concern is soundproofing the one wall that is connected to the occupied townhouse unit, obviously, as well as reducing the sound transmission from the drums going through the floor as much as possible. Since this townhouse is being rented, I'm assuming we won't be able to do any major permanent construction.

That is my dilemma. I'm looking for something in the way of a non/semi-permanent soundproofing wall/panel/baffle/whatever/solution to stop as much sound as possible from pissing off the neighbour next to us. Additionally, I'm looking for some non/semi-permanent solutions for decoupling the drums somehow from the ground. Would a rubber mat suffice? Some sort of drum riser on rubber pucks? Any product suggestions or building methods would be greatly welcomed, as I do not have a ton of experience in this area. Thanks so much for your time and advice!

Is this going to be an ongoing rehearsal/recording space, or just a temporary thing for the duration of one project (perhaps 3-4 weeks)? Because really, there is no cheap, "non-permanent" way to accomplish what you describe. It will likely be an expensive lesson in frustration and pissed-off neighbors.

If it's only going to be for several weeks, try explaining the project timeframe to the neighbors and offer them something for their short-term tolerance. It will likely be cheaper.

Is this going to be an ongoing rehearsal/recording space, or just a temporary thing for the duration of one project (perhaps 3-4 weeks)? Because really, there is no cheap, "non-permanent" way to accomplish what you describe. It will likely be an expensive lesson in frustration and pissed-off neighbors.

If it's only going to be for several weeks, try explaining the project timeframe to the neighbors and offer them something for their short-term tolerance. It will likely be cheaper.

Drums in a townhouse? I am literally the nicest guy in the entire world, a musician and I live in a townhouse - but drums next door for a recording project - no way....

Because really, there is no cheap, "non-permanent" way to accomplish what you describe. It will likely be an expensive lesson in frustration and pissed-off neighbors.

drums next door for a recording project - no way....

Ditto. These sentiments pretty much sums up the equation

Rented+Townhouse+second floor+cheap+temporary+soundproofing+drums= ummmm, not possible. Unfortunately...physics/reality trumps desire.

But sometimes people ignore the negatives and find an alternate solution. Like..
try explaining the project timeframe to the neighbors and offer them something for their short-term tolerance.

Perhaps there are time periods during the day/night where they are not home or you can work out a compromise. Like electronic drum pads. I've played on sessions in a mobile home park, where the drummer used them and they really were not that bad.

Good luck though.

Like the others suggested, it is next to impossible to do that. Especially with drums, they can be very loud.
I would recommend getting a good set of electronic drums for your situation. You would probably even save a lot more money that way.

Either that or go set up the kit in a nearby forest and record! :D

Like the others suggested, it is next to impossible to do that. Especially with drums, they can be very loud.
I would recommend getting a good set of electronic drums for your situation. You would probably even save a lot more money that way.

Either that or go set up the kit in a nearby forest and record! :D

Just by way of reference - I have a good friend who's neighbor complained about the noise from the KICK PEDAL! of his vdrums. It's hard to tell what if anything you can get away with in a townhouse of new construction.

Back