Optimal way to use Babyface I/O?

Rudolph

Hi all,
I'm changing over to an RME Babyface as my audio interface and am wondering what cables to buy for my stereo outputs. My speakers are Genelec 6010a's which only have RCA outputs. It occurs to me that this kind of sucks. Anway, I was going to buy XLR female to RCA male cables but am wondering if perhaps this is in fact the best/most straightforward option for me, as there are spdif and optical adat options also.

Basically I want the most straightforward setup, and I need to know what cables to get.

Thanks.

From what I can gather, the Babyface uses XLR for its main outs (although from the photos I can't gather whether it's male or female connections on the XLR outputs). And the Genelecs have a single mono RCA input. So maybe run something like this from each of the Babyface's main outs to each speaker:

6ft Premier Series XLR Male to RCA Male 16AWG Cable (Gold Plated) - Monoprice.com

Or maybe the female XLR equivalent of that cable, one or the other!

S/PDIF and ADAT won't help you connect to those monitors, but they can be handy for connecting to other devices like external preamps.

*edit* I just noticed your link. It'll be either the male or female XLR version of that same cable, should do a fine job.

Okay. Yeah it's the female xlr cable I'll need. Would the cable I linked to above do the trick for both outputs? ("Cordial CFU 1.5 FC Professional Audio Cable - XLR female to RCA male" if you don't want to click the link). Thanks.

I guess it depends on whether both sides of that cable are molded together. If so, it won't give you any room to spearate your speakers from each other. It may be better to find individual cables that you can run to either speaker and you'll have more freedom of where you place your monitors.

Is that a 1.5 meter cable? My metric conversion isn't that good, but Google tells me that's about 5 feet. If the left and right sides of the cable aren't molded together, it should be fine.

Back