Optical input bypasses card's converters?

Hi,

I have a simple question: If I connect something to my SBLive's (the Platinum version with 5.25" bay and digital I/Os) Optical Input, does that mean I don't lose on sound quality after my [device]'s optical output, because it's a Creative?

I am now really getting tired of my SBLive's converters, one of the line inputs actually distorts! Aaargh, well, of course you already knew this ;)

Thanks,
Stan.

Last edited:
Yes and no.

It's true you bypass the convertors. However, it's also true you are now at the mercy of the cheap circtuitry and clock.

Not that I know squat about SB either, but normally you would want to use an external A/D converter's clock running 'internal/master anywho.. (when in doubt, clock closest to the converter) and especially if there is a chance it's the better of the two. Nothing should be lost once it's in the system.
Same goes for playback. Theoretically it can be a chance to clean up on both ends.
Wayne

mixsit said:
Not that I know squat about SB either, but normally you would want to use an external A/D converter's clock running 'internal/master anywho.. (when in doubt, clock closest to the converter) and especially if there is a chance it's the better of the two. Nothing should be lost once it's in the system.
Same goes for playback. Theoretically it can be a chance to clean up on both ends.
Wayne

Problem with that is that on cards like the sb, I don't thinj there is a way to sync its clock.

Back