Opinions on OEM software?

vintagetobes

Hi i recently stumbled across this site:
http://samstakasd.com/
Anyway, question one is it legitimate.
and secondly does anyone buy there music software in this form? they only have adobe audition in the music area but if its anything like cool edit used to be then it should be great.
What do you guys think of OEM software
Cheers

Well all I can say is if that is true, thats a good fuckin deal, I think I might buy something cheap to find out if its good!

Something is not right. Read this info about product registration from their web site

"What do I get when I order something from you?

You get a link for downloading a full-version software. You also get the activation key, serial number or cd key necessary to activate the software. Note, that you will not be able to register the software with the manufacturer and get their support, but we will do our best to support you in any possible way. This includes providing different updates and service packs. However some updates will still be available from manufacturers, in fact most of them."

I would have serious reservations about doing business with this company.

• I have not been able to find a domain registration for "samstakasd.com". (They must be registered somewhere, but I haven't found the record yet.)
  • Google returns no results for the company name or the domain name.
  • The "contact us by phone" button brings up a page that says something to the effect of, "we don't have a phone."
  • They claim to be a listed in BBBOnline -- but I couldn't find them there.
  • Their address is given as 1438 Mitscher Ave, Oakand CA 94602. According to both Google Maps and the US Postal Service, this address does not exist. (Anyone in Oakland who can verify this?)
General principle: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true.

Don

So I guess the answer to question one ("Is it legitimate?") appears to be NO. Oh well. At least he didn't have to find out the hard way.

Another one out of millions of non-legit companies selling BS on the Web. :mad:

Glad you didn't order from them...

I wonder whether it's a "front" for the Business Software Alliance (www.bsa.org)? Trolling for bargain-hunters, ready to slap the cuffs on when they attempt to buy.

Probably not, but it's a thought. The web site does look pretty slick.

I may just try to "buy" something from them with an expired credit card, or maybe a made-up number. <devious smile>

Just the fact that they don't use Verisign or any other widely established CC processing company for their online sales is enough to stop me from buying from them.

Give that fake or expired CC card a try! :)

Back