Opinions on Nord Lead 3?

Just wondering if people could throw me their opinions and experiences with the Nord Lead 3. I'm just getting into synth stuff and was initially looking at some older units like the Juno 106 (per mikeh's recommendation). However, my past experience with older and/or more entry level technology is that I either a) grow out of it too quickly, or b) mostly with entry level stuff, I just get frustrated with the lack of function and flexibility, and I quit.

So....I'm looking at one heck of a first synth! Now I still want to keep with the original goal that caused mikeh to recommend the Juno. I want to work with subtractive synth, not samplers or wavetables...I don't want this massive workstation with sequencers and all of that crap. I just want a really really good subtractive synth unit. One thing I like the looks of is the NL3's buttons and knobs for stuff instead of menus....I HATE menus. Is the interface really that effective in real world use?

Lest anyone say "it's too much to start with", let me say that I work better with more powerful, complicated equipment. I get more frustrated by the hardware keeping me from doing something than by my lack of knowledge keeping me from doing it. Knowledge I can always gain, but I have to work with the hardware on hand.

All of that said...let the opinions fly!

I own the nord lead 2x and i can safely say that if you're looking for a dirty analogue synth (i was) you will hate it. that said, it's a very digital sounding synth but it very good at what it does.

sile2001 said:
Just wondering if people could throw me their opinions and experiences with the Nord Lead 3. I want to work with subtractive synth, not samplers or wavetables...I don't want this massive workstation with sequencers and all of that crap. I just want a really really good subtractive synth unit. One thing I like the looks of is the NL3's buttons and knobs for stuff instead of menus....I HATE menus. Is the interface really that effective in real world use? Lest anyone say "it's too much to start with", let me say that I work better with more powerful, complicated equipment. All of that said...let the opinions fly!

To theorize synthesis as such is pointless particularly as you suggest you are just beginning with desire to learn. So don't restrain yourself with suggested , borrowed or learned fixations of other's people preferences. You are the one who is going to use and work with that synth not others. Forget trends and pick what is the right tool for you..

NordLead is not the sort of a Synth you (regardless of your budget) purchase based on rumors but placing your hands on the same and grasping its power as you play.

I don't agree with shiatzu entirely that Nord is lacking analog virtue. In a good hands and with right treatment it can sound almost as good. But Nord sound is not about being analog rather then having sound of its own and unlike many others that claimed so, Nord really created machine that has recognizable sound of its own. Just sit down, relax and listen this demo created on Nord Lead 3 this is all the recommendation sensible and creative mind requires, that is, soon as you Hear This

You failed to mention your designated aspirations with this synth?
Hobby learning, composition?

If the first one, I don't think you need Nord 3, you'll be more then happy with older models just the same.

My advice is to go to your best dealer and try the same for yourself.

If you can maintain free and open mind and place fixed believes
on side while gaining knowledge and experience to really shape the firm
reasons for suggesting why this or that machine is for you...

As mentioned you require : "one heck of a first synth"

This is the sort of machine that really constitutes that formulation

Simply exquisite. This is the sort of machine that makes you forget all your preferences and just makes you play more and more. Last Frankfurt show this machine made me forget everything else I've seen at the show. Literary.

You owe to yourself to try it out and see what I'm talking about. It raised industry expectations among synth makers.

It really belongs in a class of its own, particularly when you consider the price.

If you try it, I guarantee , this is the one to stay, stay for good in your setup.

Listen before you go to experience the same in the flesh.

regards

Don't mean to be a spamer, but I own both, nord lead 3 and nord lead 2 (not 2x), and the 3 as much more possibilities (if I would know what I am doing... geez lol). I am a classical piano player, but I can say that the 3 has a lot more features and both have some great presets and some very bad ones. Some feel very analog, and the basses are very good.

I have to sell both if anyone is interrested (going in appartment next month)

Best offer wins :P Pm me or e-mail me

thanks

Anthony said:
As mentioned you require : "one heck of a first synth"

This is the sort of machine that really constitutes that formulation
No, This Is: http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=10
However the Ti is kool too, and offers more diverse usability.

I have only fiddled with the NL3 briefly, and can say I definitely like it as much as i like the NL-2X (Which is excellent). But for my money, none of the Nord Leads are the most ergonomically friendly synth and are often quite visually distracting. That said, they are still a venerable choice.

Try and get your hands on a Virus KC (or better yet KB). Possibly even an Alesis Ion, or If you can find like an old Waldorf Microwave XTk, or Novation SuperNova II, check 'em out too. They were all made as Rack models too (Not the Ion obviously), and are not really old...as in vintage...And if they can't keep you entertained for hours on end, you need to play drums mister.... :)

Atterion said:
No, This Is: http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=10 However the Ti is kool too, and offers more diverse usability.

Maybe I'm the one to blame

Blame my audiophile listening , perhaps I've spoiled my ears with top flight samplers, but Virus Ti has for my ears even one more refined step of offering higher grade sound output then even your Andromeda. But all this is pointless if he actually doesn't go out and try them all for himself.

Atterion said:
I have only fiddled with the NL3 briefly, and can say I definitely like it as much as i like the NL-2X (Which is excellent). But for my money, none of the Nord Leads are the most ergonomically friendly synth and are often quite visually distracting. That said, they are still a venerable choice.

Ha failed to explain his intentions with objected synth, so either could do
just in in therms of the raw power.

Atterion said:
Try and get your hands on a Virus KC (or better yet KB). Possibly even an Alesis Ion, or If you can find like an old Waldorf Microwave XTk, or Novation SuperNova II, check 'em out too. They were all made as Rack models too (Not the Ion obviously), and are not really old...as in vintage...And if they can't keep you entertained for hours on end, you need to play drums mister.... :)

Waldorf XTk stands out for his sound but still not in mercy of fabulous output Virus is capable. Have you played Ti?

sile2001 said:
Just wondering if people could throw me their opinions and experiences with the Nord Lead 3. However, my past experience with older and/or more entry level technology is that I either a) grow out of it too quickly, or b) mostly with entry level stuff, I just get frustrated with the lack of function and flexibility, and I quit.

So....I'm looking at one heck of a first synth! One thing I like the looks of is the NL3's buttons and knobs for stuff instead of menus....I HATE menus. Is the interface really that effective in real world use?

Lest anyone say "it's too much to start with", let me say that I work better with more powerful, complicated equipment. I get more frustrated by the hardware keeping me from doing something than by my lack of knowledge keeping me from doing it. Knowledge I can always gain, but I have to work with the hardware on hand.

All of that said...let the opinions fly!

Excellent questions...now, how to reply with same calibre answer!?! I read in the paper that philosophy students were being examined with the question: What is the meaning of life? To which you could reply, tongue in cheek: You mean there is a meaning? There is only one meaning? Which meaning are you looking for?

1) Sounds + timbre. Which synth inspires you? Which one makes time stop when you play it? Which one urges you to improvise and compose?
2) Are you a performer (2-handed technique) or a programmer (1-hand)? This determines bare polyphony and kb octave range requirements.
3) Do you have rec equipment?
4) Do you need in board FX?
5) Are you finicky about keybed feel?

I have the Nord3, Andromeda A6, Waldorf Q32, SuperNova Pro-X 48, Virus B kb from the list of candidates mentioned.

They all have their own signature timbre, which plays both to their strengths and weaknesses. This is a product of their architecture and will never be overcome entirely.

The Nord3 is easy to program, 20 voices, no FX. 4-octave kb is inadequate as a primary synth, IMHO. Special features: pitch stick: there is no other way to properly articulate a bowed string. Superb. LED dials. Fantastic. Extremely FAT unison mode without sacrificing polyphony. The timbre is recognisable as Clavia. Take it or leave it.

Andy is something of a disappointment. For an analogue synth it simply lacks the essentials:

i) Warmth and musicality
ii) Resonance
iii) Instability and randomness of sound (creating living vibration)

For a host of reasons I won't go into, the current crop of analogues lack the majesty of the old gear. This includes the Polyevolver. Pandemonium and chaos patches don't equate to musicality very well. But they do conceal it to a degree. ;)

The Q has a sound that is extremely pristine, and best suited to resonant patches: basses and plucked strings, crystals and bells. Magnificent modding potential, tho. Sound spectrum? Thin, ethereal, mental, not visceral.

The SNII is a rather reserved timbre. I tend to use it for metallic cymbal, gong sounds, EPs, some modded arps, and ambient/atmospheric oddities. It has the 2nd best kb. Up to 7 FX per voice. Certainly capable alone.

The Virus is the most warm and musical VA. As I work on the Andy, I am always thinking I could coax this sound better from the Virus. And I can. It does not sound more analogue than the Andy, but truth be told neither does the Andy sound analogue. But the Virus is far and away more inspiring and responsive. It has 24 voices, and the best ergonomics and kb. Right size, feel, with glossy white keys and matte black ones. Excellent tactility.

So, you hate menus. Welcome to the club. ;) If you go for the Ti, you can edit on your computer thru USB. BIG SCREEN. The new Nord G2X will also liberate you from 2-line LCD hell via USB.

But the most important thing is to get an idea of the inherent timbre of your candidates. Ultimately, choose the one that inspires you to create. That is, after all, the whole point behind instruments of any kind. So keep listening to the demos, and visit your music store and just play. Invest the time and be patient. Your opinion will gradually form and coalesce.

The way I do a quick check of a synth's timbre is to play a bass patch, and tweak it around. The bass embodies the low fundamental frequency, the Helmholz overtones, and resonances. I find it brutally exposes any shortcomings in oscillators/filters specifically, and the whole soundstream in general.

Lastly, in terms of timbre, the Virus simply covers the whole spectrum of sound frequencies in the most organic way, to my ears. They have sold 15,000 of them since the first model A came out. Excellent product support too, BTW.

Anthony said:
Maybe I'm the one to blame

Blame my audiophile listening , perhaps I've spoiled my ears with top flight samplers, but Virus Ti has for my ears even one more refined step of offering higher grade sound output then even your Andromeda.

It takes experience to recognise it, and courage to say it. We are in agreement. 100%. ;)

Before I forget...

...One more tidbit of information:

There is a discernable difference in the timbre from one Andy to another: some are darker, grungier...while others are brighter and punchier. It is not a massive difference by any stretch, but it can be identified.

My A6 arrived after a wait of a few months with a defective V11 (either the osc and/or filter). Because they had just started shipping and I didn't wish to wait without, the merchant allowed me to retain it until the replacement arrived a month or so later. I had two days in which to compare them.

Both were satisfactory, but obviously the small variances in electronics in analogue accounted for subtle differences. The difference is such that you could only recognise it in side by side listening tests, or if you had extensive experience.

Still, I am pleased that the replacement was of the modestly brighter variety.

Anthony said:
I don't agree with shiatzu entirely that Nord is lacking analog virtue. In a good hands and with right treatment it can sound almost as good. But Nord sound is not about being analog rather then having sound of its own and unlike many others that claimed so, Nord really created machine that has recognizable sound of its own.

Perhaps I should rephrase... I'll use the nord for choral sounds, string pads, and the occasional "sound effect" but my use for it ends there. I purchased the NL2X because I wasn't able to find a Korg Polysix and wanted a gig-able synth. I wanted a dirty, compressed, analogue synth for rock leads and that was pretty much it; I have yet to find/craft a sound on the lead2x that sounds "right". I've since replaced it with a realistic moog mg1 and i couldn't be happier; it all depends on what you're looking for, i suppose.

There's something about analog synths.....where everything just seems to "fit" and is much more inspiring and fun to listen to than VA's. VA's kind of give me ear fatigue if I play on them too long and everything just starts sounding the same and like mush. BUT, from what I've heard, I agree, the Virus sound engine seems to be the most "musical". I've owned an NL3, extensively used an MS2000, and currently own an Ion and a NL2 rack. After owning an NL3 the NL2 seems VERY limited. If you end up going Nord Lead I think it would be a good idea to get the 3 if you can afford it. I also do not feel that the Nord Lead series has very good bass.

Last edited:
Hey folks! Thanks for all the feedback! All of this stuff is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. As has been pointed out, I should have my desired uses, goals, and playing style. Main uses will initially be for various pad sounds in live performance, and in that context, I am definitely doing more performing and less programming. Eventually, I hope to start bringing in bass lines and other rhythm-oriented sounds as well. It will also be used in recording, although I'm not exactly sure in what capacity yet. At some point, it will probably be used by a sequencer on some of my more complicated and/or dance, techno and electronica type projects.

Several have already mentioned getting out and trying the units, and I know that there's no substitution for that. I definitely won't be buying something I haven't played with. However, our local music stores seem to have an aversion to carrying high end synths (yet they're overstocked on workstations), so it wasn't until yesterday that I even got to try out the Nord Lead 3. Just from that experience I was really impressed with it, but then I didn't really have any frame of reference to compare it to. The interface seemed completely intuitive, the keyboard touch felt good, and I must say that the Morph feature is one of the coolest ideas I've ever seen in any product.

I want to get around to try some of the other units like the Andromeda and the Virus Ti, but right now it looks like those units are out of my budget range.

Once again, thanks to everyone for the input, and if anyone has anything else to throw out there, please do so!

I've been researching the Virus Ti anyway, but as I mentioned, the local music stores are too stupid to carry them, so I'll probably have to drive a ways to find one. Before I do though, I'd like to ask a question.

Strangely enough, nowhere have I been able to find a real closeup of the controls for the Ti...all of the photos of it are just far enough away that I can't read the labels on any of the controls. From what I've been reading about it and what I could see in a demo video, it seems that a good portion of the device seems to rotate around the display and it's "soft knobs", and a huge focus is placed on the software interface for it. Can any Ti users confirm for me how much menu interaction is involved? I can figure menus out, but I'd rather just not have to use them.

A couple of things that I liked about the Nord Lead 3 were the endless knobs with LED position indication, and the Morph control. With the LEDs on the knobs, whenever you change patches you can instantly see what each knob is set to instead of having to fiddle with the knob until you find what position it should be in. Is that really a problem with synths that don't have that feature (like the Ti)?

The Morph control lets you change up to 26 parameters simultaneously based off of (individually) key velocity, aftertouch, expression pedal, and mod wheel. For instance, with a simple sweep of the mod wheel, I could increase the rate of LFO1 by a certain amount, double its amplitude, decrease the rate of LFO2, increase the attack of the mod envelope, sweep the shapes of OSC1 and OSC2, change the sustain of the filter, and increase the output level. Do other synths (like the Ti) have a similar feature?

Back