Opinions on Mix

stevesmith99

So I am pretty close to finished on one of my (IMO) best mixes ever. And now I want some opinion from people who don't know me and aren't afraid to tell me what they think needs to be done(or undone). So please take some time to listen.
www.myspace.com/blackfridaymetal
fist song "No More Tears"
If you guys listen to other mixes you will probably see why I think that No More Tears is my best mix yet.

Thanx in advance.

Pretty good band, man!
Wish you'd upload the songs somewhere better than myspace though, it's a sound destroyer...
Really liked your version of No More Tears, but the other stuff rocks too. Pretty good recordings.

Joey :):):):)

Well, I suppose I should start throwing my opinions around! haha.

I loved the instrumentals, they sounded so clear and amazing.

I can't say I really liked the effects applied to the vocal.
There's a certain one, sounds like your in a shower almost,
And I think it'd have been better fitted naturally or with a little bit of distortion added to it...

Well, My first 2 cents.

Pretty good band, man!
Wish you'd upload the songs somewhere better than myspace though, it's a sound destroyer...
Really liked your version of No More Tears, but the other stuff rocks too. Pretty good recordings.

Joey :):):):)

Any suggestions on where a good place to up load?

Well, I suppose I should start throwing my opinions around! haha.

I loved the instrumentals, they sounded so clear and amazing.

I can't say I really liked the effects applied to the vocal.
There's a certain one, sounds like your in a shower almost,
And I think it'd have been better fitted naturally or with a little bit of distortion added to it...

Well, My first 2 cents.

I actually had the vocal tracks pretty raw at first. I will do another mix and repost.

Any suggestions on where a good place to up load?

reverbnation and soundclick are both pretty common...but they are still only a 128kbps

you can sign up here https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTMxNDY4MDU5

and host individual tracks at any rate you feel like if you want folks here to hear them at their full potential..it has a folder on your desktop you just drop your song into and it uploads automatically..you get 2gigs free plus we both get another 250mb by me referring you

apart from that liked your version...good performance, the vocals did sound a little rough but myspace doesn't help

good job anyway

So signing up from the link you posted will let them know it was a referral from you?

yup..I think thats how it works...

I always used soundclick before but anything in the higher frequencies like cymbals just got completely squashed...this is good for collabs as well as you can stick files up for sharing...pretty cool all n all

I'll wait untill you post elsewhere. The value of soundclick & box is that they allow download AND stremer. Someone in a hurry OR concrned about net hygiene will prefer to strem until they get to know you.

The guitars are much heavier than the original, which is cool.

Is your vocalist trying to mimic Ozzy's nasaly tone, or is the song just pushing the limits of his range a little? During the verses, it sounds like he's straining, and it loses a lot of the effect, but he settles into a pretty good sound during the choruses.

He's also off key for a good portion of the song after the second verse.

Also, I'm gonna have to ask you to return my name. It'd be confusing to have two Steve Smiths around here. :D

So I am pretty close to finished on one of my (IMO) best mixes ever. And now I want some opinion from people who don't know me and aren't afraid to tell me what they think needs to be done(or undone). So please take some time to listen.
www.myspace.com/blackfridaymetal
fist song "No More Tears"
If you guys listen to other mixes you will probably see why I think that No More Tears is my best mix yet.

Thanx in advance.

I'll happily listen and comment when it's not through the 96kb/sec pus blender that is MySpace. Yuck. Reverbnation is another good site, songs at any bandwith (up to 8MB per song) for the free site. Tons of great artist/promotion tools too. Plus, ReverbNation links into Facebook through the "My Band" applet.

I'll happily listen and comment when it's not through the 96kb/sec pus blender that is MySpace. Yuck. Reverbnation is another good site, songs at any bandwith (up to 8MB per song) for the free site. Tons of great artist/promotion tools too. Plus, ReverbNation links into Facebook through the "My Band" applet.

how much bandwidth do you get? for example, i was using a service a while ago where the bandwidth was 3GB/a day, and the song could only be heard until the limit was reached. then i'd have to wait till the next day so the bandwidth would reset and the song was available again.

and can you put their player on your myspace page?

how much bandwidth do you get? for example, i was using a service a while ago where the bandwidth was 3GB/a day, and the song could only be heard until the limit was reached. then i'd have to wait till the next day so the bandwidth would reset and the song was available again.

and can you put their player on your myspace page?

They have widgets you can put on any site you have rights to, including MySpace. I've never run into a bandwidth problem, ever...

Guitars sound great!!! Drums sound pretty good, but the snare can be a bit fatter (personal opinion, not fact).

But, I have to be honest....The vocals are horrible. His pitch is really bad. The band sounds good, though. Overall a good version of a cool tune, except for the vocals.

Last edited:
Those guitars are seriously badass dude.

Bass sounds great...drums seem fine.

I actually really liked the processing on the vocals and the sound of the voice for this song, but I'm going to trust the majority here that the pitch is an issue although it didn't seem too bad to me - perhaps because I myself have terrible pitch ? :p :)

Is this a cover? If so, who does the original...it doesn't sound familiar at all to me.

I'm going to trust the majority here that the pitch is an issue although it didn't seem too bad to me...

Is this a cover? If so, who does the original...it doesn't sound familiar at all to me.

Hey Heat,

Not knowing it's a cover is probably the reason you don't notice any pitch issues. Knowing the original, you'd hear how the melody at times is so off, at times itsounds like he's singing in the wrong key. It's an Ozzy tune, by the way.

Last edited:
Hey Heat,

Not knowing it's a cover is probably the reason you don't notice any pitch issues. Knowing the original, you'd hear how the melody at times is so off, at times itsounds like he's singing in the wrong key. It's an Ozzy tune, by the way.

Hey Rami, yeah, I guess that could be it. I know ozzy era sabbath inside and out, but never heard much of his solo stuff other than the ones everyone knows...crazy train, etc.

I still think the vocal effects are way cool and reminded me of ozzy even though I didn't know this had anything to do with him :).

Back