Opinions & help with equipment

Fbhooked

Recently me and my friend bought a studio out. We have recorded a few bands & been in and out of studios but are still are dumb about some things. I have questions if anyone can help it would be much appreciated. We have been using Mostly a Mackie Onyx 1640 with firewire, and a Tascam US-428 both running to the cpu with an AMD Athelon 1700+ 1.46 Processor, with 256 MB of Ram. Right now we only use the Tascam as a control surface & the Mackie as our Ins, because the MAckie & Tascam conflict. We have recorded at the most 13 tracks at once but sometimes get latency and sometimes not. Mostly in punch ins. 1st question does anyone have any suggestions on what to do or why this happening only sometimes. Next we also have an Otari Status 18r Board, a Motu 2408 mkII, 5 Tascam ADATs (1 DA 88 & 4 DA38's), and a massive amount of outboard rack effects. We are not sure if we can run the Otari into the CPU using anything we have without buying more stuff. Any suggestions on this? Also we have mixed reviews on the Otari board does anyone have any comments on it? Last we have been offered to trade the Otari for a Mackie D8B . We know that it will fix problems in a few ways but it is a shame to let this Otari go if we can use it. Like I said any suggestions will be much appreciated.

I suggest you get a professional in there immediately to help you sort out your wiring, computer problems and gear issues. If 'someone' is offering to trade a Mackie D8B your Otari you've got to realize they're not just trying to do you a favor - it has to be at least an even trade for them.

If the Otari has midi ports (as most do) then you don't need to buy anything more than this to interface it with your computer. The computer as specified must be a few years old now, but could still suffice for running some automation on the board thru midi continuous controllers and note numbers. You will need a faster computer as the main studio machine. As far as the Tascam ADAT's go I'm not quite sure of the market right now, but you could probably trade the 4 of them for a premium quality computer and be better off.

If you know other studio owners ask them for a recommendation as to someone to fill the position of consolidation and upgrade consultant. You want someone honest enough not to rip you off and knowledgeable enough to steer you in the right direction. If you can't find anyone that way, look on the web or in your local free weekly for other studios, call half a dozen and introduce yourself. Explain your problem and ask if they know anyone who'd be able to help. Don't expect to get anyone to take this on for free - $30/hr would be a good staring point including all time related to research and recommendations.

Back