Opinions :D

welcome to the clinic...

I'd say it basically sounds good, but music that desparately needs vocals, as it is musically not much without them.....but sounds recorded decent. The fact, since that I'm guessing this music is really a support role to the vocals, there's nothing to really judge about it, sans vocals. Some instruments may need to be louder, softer...depending what the vocals do. I believe music beds with vocals thrown on top of them, sound just like that.... they're not mixed as a song as a whole.
Put your [kick butt] vocals in there and THEN get to mixing. Should be a good tune, as you've got a solid start.

Otherwise... lose the kick that goes...thump, thump, thump......:spank:

I agree with mixmkr that "thump thump thump kick drum" is really robotic and obnoxious. The rest of the mix sounds good.

thanks for the input guys! and yes it was definitely mixed for vocals to fill the void.

I'm not sure i follow the details of the "thump thump thump kick drum" ... could you elaborate?

thanks for the compliment on the drummers timing! must be pretty perfect to soundlike a metronome.

I hear nothing obnoxious or robotic but i appreciate your input.

Nice try but a real drummer would not play the kick that way. You need to learn how to program your drum machine better.

and i elaborate more, snare mic'd with a sm57... 3 toms mic'd with 3 sm57's.. lowest floor tom mic'd with shure sm7b, 2 overheads mic'd with SM81's and a nueman tlm 102 room mic set back about 7 feet at a 6 foot height aimed at the drummer's face.

Don't tell me im using a drum program.

Like I said earlier... good start but you need to mix the whole song together.. To say bluntly about the drums, no...they're not fake, infact something like Superior or Stevie Slate drums sound much better. These sound good but my beliefs are that killer drum programming actually sounds much better with these VSTi nowadays, than most home brewed recorded. It takes " alot" to get good recorded drums, usually starting with the kit and the player. Also, the thump, thump.... I think the first thing a beginning drummer does is pound away like that, and then since it is just exaggerated "floor taping" to the beat, they can play their HH stuff and fills on top, without too much experience. Not saying your drummer doesn't have any, but there's really no ability in smacking away on the quarter note beats, so I wouldn't take the comments as a compliment to their steady drumming. If the kick is going to be so dominant and repitious, it needs to rip your chest hairs off... much in the fashion dance music does, since it is so heavily beat dependent.
Pop some vocals on man... post 'er back up. eager to hear more and get off the subject of robo kick.

yea i know i need to mix the whole song together lol... and you're one of those people that would rather replace real drums then make acoustic ones sound good. and the drummer of this song is incredibly accomplished with a big resume in music... you're going to try to discredit a drummer because of a part that you wouldnt write?

and since when is song writing about show-casing each members ability at all time... it was composed they way it was sought best and there are PLENTY of songs throughout history (including songs that have made million) where there is steady kick.... If you dont like that part then good for you... but how you can go from there to calling him an inexperienced drummer or "robo kick" is beyond me... .

song composition is certainly NOT the help im looking for...

oops...you don't know me.. sorry... that's why you dug out one of my old snippets of a recording to bash on. I tell you what, Mr "20 posts", go get sensitvie on Facebook or something. I won't bother to comment on your stuff then anymore. Sorry for the mistake..
When this clinic first started and people with your attitude popped in, they usually got ripped another one. I imagine similar will happen again. You don't need mixing/rcording help.... and I won't bother with the resume crap either. Quite frankly, you might loose that one.

I've actually been part of this forum for years as Bisson820 but forgot my password and couldnt get it back for the life of me. lol

And I'm not being sensitive buddy, you're just making some ridiculously outlandish comments and call someone an amateur because of a composition disagreement... you sir, made it personal... not me.

and thanks for the techno song... i see no resemblance in composition.

edit - resume crap? ... lol.... when did this become a personal battle between me and you? and why are you trying to make it one? you gave me your input and i think its shitty advice... just because you give advice doesnt mean i have to agree with it man.

My first criticism on the first two time I listened to this mix, on my T.V. that I also use as my monitor, was that it had too much mid-range and not enough bottom end. Then I remembered that my T.V. speakers have almost no bass frequency response at all and then listened through my headphones and there was all the bottom end anyone could ask for. Then I listened for the thump, thump, thump and heard that it doesn't do that throughout the whole mix, a little bit past the halfway point there is some very nice kick syncopation going on. I am one of the folks that don't think of the instrumental parts as just a foundation to support the vocals but that they are an integral part of telling the story and not just to support but interact with the melody/vocals. So I suspect that when the vocals are mixed in that the drum track will make perfect lyrical sense. I am also one of those people who would rather use a real drum kit than a drum machine or plugin. I think it keeps things sounding more human and personal.

My first criticism on the first two time I listened to this mix, on my T.V. that I also use as my monitor, was that it had too much mid-range and not enough bottom end. Then I remembered that my T.V. speakers have almost no bass frequency response at all and then listened through my headphones and there was all the bottom end anyone could ask for. Then I listened for the thump, thump, thump and heard that it doesn't do that throughout the whole mix, a little bit past the halfway point there is some very nice kick syncopation going on. I am one of the folks that don't think of the instrumental parts as just a foundation to support the vocals but that they are an integral part of telling the story and not just to support but interact with the melody/vocals. So I suspect that when the vocals are mixed in that the drum track will make perfect lyrical sense. I am also one of those people who would rather use a real drum kit than a drum machine or plugin. I think it keeps things sounding more human and personal.

Thank you Illsidgus... i appreciate the input. The kick is the driving force of the beginning and the song vocally has a pretty big change throughout... it starts with a lot of harmonies and a lot of voices and the kick keeps driving all the noise home which is why its steady and keeping the foundation.

what i appreciate most is you didnt tell me to change the song but you gave some solid input.

when you say all the low end you could ask for, are you saying you might think there is too much?

when you say all the low end you could ask for, are you saying you might think there is too much?

To my ears there is not to much low end. But then I like music with low end, one of my favorite all time pieces of music to sit back and listen to is Schubert's "Symphony No. 8 in B Minor", it doesn't get much more low end than that. Of course I am sure there are some folks here on the forum who might think it has to much low end. But that is why there is such a diversity of musical styles, everyone hears things differently and likes different sounds and frequencies. For example, my wife cannot stand songs written in a minor mode. I on the other hand love songs in minor modes.

My advise to any of us who post a piece of music on the forum is to take all criticisms into consideration whether we agree with them or not. Then come back later and look at them again and try to learn something from criticism you like and criticism you don't like. Some of it can be dismissed completely and some of it may have an important kernel of truth. Never turn down an opportunity to learn.

Okay, I am through being preachy now. I just hope I can take my own advice when I finally post something here for the judgment of my peers. I have no doubt that they will rip my stuff apart.

Last edited:
To my ears there is not to much low end. But then I like music with low end, one of my favorite all time pieces of music to sit back and listen to is Schubert's "Symphony No. 8 in B Minor", it doesn't get much more low end than that. Of course I am sure there are some folks here on the forum who might think it has to much low end. But that is why there is such a diversity of musical styles, everyone hears things differently and likes different sounds and frequencies. For example, my wife cannot stand songs written in a minor mode. I on the other hand love songs in minor modes.

My advise to any of us who post a piece of music on the forum is to take all criticisms into consideration whether we agree with them or not. Then come back later and look at them again and try to learn something from criticism you like and criticism you don't like. Some of it can be dismissed completely and some of it may have an important kernel of truth. Never turn down an opportunity to learn.

Okay, I am through being preachy now. I just hope I can take my own advice when I finally post something here for the judgment of my peers. I have know doubt that they will rip my stuff apart.

Agreed, just not sure why things have to get personal or people have to try to insult the skill level of someone based on a single part of a song that they disagree with :P... or trying to compare "resume's" ... people need to grow up.

Back