Opinions? Constructive Criticism

16? good work mate

as for the mix, the gang vocals had too much 'verb, the drums were buried and too much cymbals (a little more variation would help them) and the lead vocals sat out on top imo....I dont mind the guitars being off to one side others might though.....

but they are easy fixes, nice performance and catchy little tune just more mix experience needed :)

Damn, i wish i was this good when i was 16.

The mix sound a little off because of the things said above. The snare definitely need to cut more in the mix. The bass is kind of lost too.

On a performance note, i would add that some parts need a more accurate staccato, like the main guitars. This is probably fixable in the mixing stage by manually moving the dingy parts. Some would say that it takes away some of the grace of the performance, but well, i would do it just in the places where it stands out more.

Again, is just a polishing job. The tune is cool, very catchy. For your age, is sure an amazing job.

Too much reverb on vocals during chorus. Consider adding layered vocals at some points. Also turn up the drums can't hear them, especially the kick. Snare also sounds a little muddy.

Thanks for all the tips! Unfortunately, I couldn't get my hands on a bass. Next time, less reverb, more drums :listeningmusic:

Let me start of by saying that I couldn't produce anything this good at 16 (and not much better now), so well done. Just echo a few things others have already said, vocals a little too up front and the cymbals are a little too loud and the snare too quiet. How did you track your drums, will you be able to remix the seperate drum parts? I don't mind the off centre guitar either, in fact I prefer it that way. No bass is bit of a bummer. Is there no way you could pick up even a cheap bass? It would make a world of difference.

Very nice man! I wish I had skills like that at 16 myself.

Here, threw a bass track in it for ya, cuz I was bored. :D

Drums definitely need some beef, once there is a bass track......

Keep up the good stuff man!

Jimmy

Attachments

• A Party Song with bass1.mp3
    6.6 MB · Views: 11
Wow! Thanks! That sounds incredibly better. I'll definitely have to invest in a bass now. @toad the drums are Impact MIDI drums from Studio One :facepalm: but they're better than anything i could record!

That bass really fills things out Jimmy.

Cool song, and great recording for 16. When I was 16 I could tell the difference between a microphone and a preamp. I just knew to sing into whatever they put in front of me at a show...great start!

The mix is a little tilted, drums sound really R, and guitars are really L. Not much going on up the middle.

You might wanna consider doubling the guitars and panning R and L. The bass, snare, and kick should be pretty centered. The cymbal on teh R is really distracting too.

Great start, keep it up!!!

I was just going to ask if there's even a bass in the tune but I see there is not. VERY good for 16. You have a future in music. Ease up on the compression on the snare. It's sucking the life out of it. You just need to practice your mixing skills. You're on the right track.

Even though your mix needs tweaking, the song kept me so interested that I actually forgot to listen to the mix, and I guess thats a good thing. Being a drummer I noticed the cymbal riding was a little too much. Just keep in mind the power of dynamics in music. Your light years ahead of me when I was 16....keep your head on straight, and keep it up. Nice work!

Back