Opinions/advice on Sony MP5 effects unit?

expatguy

I happen to own a Sony HR-MP5 1/2 rack effects unit. I don't know its specs, but given its age I assume it's a 16 bit/44.1 kHz type. It works fine and its reverb sounds far better than any of the plugins that came with Cubase SL2 or the Sonar LE plugins (bundled with my Edirol UA-101). I'd be happy to hear opinions (quality of reverb, other effects, suitability for digital recording, whatever) from anyone with experience with one of these units.

Last edited:
superbeatballer said:
Play with it for awhile longer and see what you think about the sound. :)

Ahh. A cryptic reply. :) From a HR-MP5 user? If so, what do YOU think of this unit?

I'll have to wait for Christmas to get a Lexicon reverb unit. Christmas of 2013, that is. So, I must restrict my interests to the HR-MP5 for the moment. Like I said, I *have* formed some opinions, but am always interested in those of others. I think the various reverbs beat the plugins I have, but that's all I have to compare with. The handful of amp sims are awful, but it's really only the reverb and delays I am remotely interested in using. Some people may like them, some may hate them, but I've learned that there's some value in almost all opinions, so if you care to chime in, feel free. Suggestions for tweaking presets, etc. welcome, of course.

SonicAlbert said:
The Sound on Sound review is here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994_articles/apr94/sonysrmp5.html

I've never used the Sony HR-MP5, but it does seem to have a pretty good reputation. You see them in some pretty good studio racks from time to time.

But along the same lines as what superbeatballer said, since you already have the advantage of owning the HR-MP5 yourself, you can form your own opinions of it. :eek:

Many thanks for the link. I will, of course, continue refining my opinions, but for now, what's good enough for Paul White is good enough for me! Still, even thought I now have Paul's considered opinion, I'd still be happy to hear from, others. Just trying to be sociable. If I make some friends, maybe someone will send me one of their top-end Lexicons to make a comparison with. :D

Back