Opinins, please: favourite microphone

nessbass

What is your favourite mic?
I know, this question is one of the oldest, most frequently asked, most controversial and most sticky, but - what the hell? I wanna know, so...

Obviously there is no best mic and I don't have a fav but if I could only have one it would be SM-57. It's like a Swiss army knife. Not the best but it works.

It depends on what you want to record. There are different mics for different purposes. Because of this, your question is very dificult to answer.

Vas Iss Los Herr Bass?

Well, man, I've got about seven mics in my home studio; however, I just bought a Yorkville Apex 430 mic. I bought this mic because I bought a pair of Yorkville Monitors. I was so impressed by the low cost of the monitors and their quality that I decided to buy the mic for the hell of it.

It is outstanding.

USA cost is around 140 pezzutos. [dollars]

The company is located in Canada but has a USA office too.

If you can't really "try out" a bunch of mics, then I would recommend you give the 430 a try. Nice sound, rich, full, clear.

Affidezene [excuse my incorrect German spelling.

Green Hornet

Here's what I can offer

I have to agree w/ Track Rat. The question "what is your favorite mic?" is so broad that it defies any short answer. I look at it this way: right now I only own two mics: an SM57 and a AKG C3000B. Why did I choose those? Because they where the best dynamic and condensor mics that fell within my budget.
Now, let's assume I had unlimited money. I can buy any two mic's I want, regardless of price. Would I keep the mic's I have now? Well, I would most definitely buy a better condensor, a U87 or 414 or something very high-end. But I would still want my SM57 around. I guess that means I would have to call it my favorite.
How interesting that in a world of hundreds of great mics in all price ranges, the one most people just can't live without only costs $80.
Aaron Cheney
http://www.aaroncheney.com

Now.. the question wasn't about the BEST mic. It was about your FAVOURITE mic....

My favourite mic will be the oktava MC012's just because they look so sexy in their boxes... Just have to buy them first... :P

I like my little Sennheiser MD409. It just sounds "right". I was micing a guitar amp the other day and figured i'd put up a 57, just because everybody does (i hardly ever use 57s for anything...). Well it sounded alright, but I tried the 409 instead and it was so much better. Define "better" you say? Um....... clearer and fuller, with a much more pleasant midrange. Anyway, I've used the ol' 409 on bass, keys.......it gets picked over my AT4050 (also a fine microphone) for vocals all the time. The nicest mic I've ever been lucky enough to borrow is an AKG C33E (i think). It's a stereo mic, you can rotate the capsules anywhere between 0-180 degrees. Frightening. Use it as an overhead and:
1. The phase is perfect.
2. The imaging is so precise you can hear the drummer sweating!

I'm only kidding a little, it's an amazing mic. They're about $3600 new. Neumann TLM 103 is also a terrific mic for under a grand. Hey, while we're talking mics, anyone have any experience with Earthworks? I've used them once and really liked them, $850 for a matched pair doesn't seem too bad. Just wondering about others' opinions.........

Meshuggah said:
My favourite mic will be the oktava MC012's just because they look so sexy in their boxes...
Hardly surprising coming from a guy with nipple-sucking Smurf for an Avatar!!!!!!!!

:D :D

Bruce

I own a RODENT, AKG C1000, A KSM32, 2- 57's and a few other non-descripts, but my all-time fav..... the SMack 58!

BTW Mesh, you're a sick man!!!!! :)

My favourite microphone preference, old chap, is two old tin bean cans connected by a taut string.

That's my "opinin".

Back