Opininion - Nady mics

hdi

What do you guys think of Nady mics? They seem to have the cheapest tube mic out there - TCM 1100 for $200..... and one of the cheapest multi-pattern mics - SCM 1000, $150 + $30 for a mount........ and the cheapest multi-pattern tube mic (although they switch the pattern using the power supply) TCM1050 - $300

Mine is that given the current craze in consumer priced large diaphram condensors, Nady is not near the top of the list. The reason is lack of quality control. One may sound good, as one I used did on a particular vocal track, while others may be very noisy.

The lower priced mics we recommend around here are badged and/or distributed in the US by) Studio Projects and Marshall MXL (not the amp maker). Both make a good tube mic if that's what your heart desires, as well as other fine mics. Do use the search function here on any brand name, though. There may be good and bad mics made by the same company. Harvey Gerst, the part-time pope and our patron saint, recommended some of the MXL line, while some of their mics did not fare so well under testing.
-kent

I'm kind of a black sheep around here, but I have 2 Nady SCM-900's that I'm pretty happy with. They work. They sound close enough to be used as a stereo pair. I guess I just got lucky.

They don't sound fabulous, though. I'm not sure I'd drop $300 for the tube mic, though- I'd go for something that sounds better.

I do think that there are many better sounding mics out there in the same price range these days. I got mine about 2 years ago before all the really good mic deals came out. I wouldn't buy them now.

YMMV, especially with cheap chinese mics. :)

Chris

I haven't tried the Nady myself yet...might sound strange, but they're running so cheap that I'm actually afraid to!!!!!

For a good vocal mic in the price range, I'm really happy with the Shure KSM 27...very nice crisp tone!

This might be a silly question - but do you find that the Shure KSM27 sounds like other Shure mics? I usually use a 58 or a 57 running through a TubeMP and get a relatively warm... if, perhaps, a touch muscular, sound. I'm looking to diversify my sounds but the KSM specs are hard to resist at that price. Is it different enough from the other Shure products to make a difference, so to speak?

I can only give my opinion, but I think it sounds great...certainly not like what I expected for $300. It has alot more clarity, and yet warmth, than the 57-58 (but I've never used a tube MP, either!). I recently did a blues band live, and had the KSM for live vocals that were meant to be scratched, but after listening back, the KSM room added so much from the room noise (and the vocals sounded great!) that we left it in 10 of the 12 songs! I don't think you can go wrong for the price, but be sure you have the 48volts phantom power to push it the way it needs.

UnclePonto said:
This might be a silly question - but do you find that the Shure KSM27 sounds like other Shure mics? I usually use a 58 or a 57 running through a TubeMP and get a relatively warm... if, perhaps, a touch muscular, sound. I'm looking to diversify my sounds but the KSM specs are hard to resist at that price. Is it different enough from the other Shure products to make a difference, so to speak?

I think you arer confusing a corporate manufacturing entity with a "sound'. It's kind of like asking if a Corvette rides just like a Pickup Truck just because they both happened to be made by Chevy.

The SM57 and KSM27 are both made by Shure. Much beyond that, they have nothing in common, either in design or sound (small diaphragm dynamic vs. large diaphragm condensor) - other than the fact that they are both microphones. ;)

Holding up fine, In the cave theres talk of maybe a get together here in KC for others on this board. So is it bates city, Odessa or arround there.

Higginsville...20 miles north of Warrensburg on 13....

That would be very cool to get people together....I'm somewhat of a neophyte, though I'm pretty happy with what I've done so far! Keep me informed!

Where are you at?

Thanks littledog. Duly noted. Sometimes I wonder if they just make them all in the same factory with slight variations. But the Shure is looking like a nice runner in the $300 LD studio mic races.

Back