Onyx vs Grace

cpl_crud

Has anyone got any opinions on the Grace pres vs the Onyx standalone pres?

I've got 3 Onyx 800rs as a front-end for my HD24XR. Is a Grace a great improvement, or should I bide my time and pennies until I can get something up around the Great River area?

I'm looking for opinions from people that have heard both, not your typical "OMG Mackie=Shit WTF get off my planet KThxDie".

Thanks

Yeah, the grace is a dramatic improvement over the onyx. Yep, used both of them. Whats your budget???If you are looking for a clean frontend that is really awesome...check out the DAV BG-1
www.davelectronics.com/bg1.htm gear sluts has some great reviews too.
Dont care for onyx at all..

Well, I've got a three-year period in which to get gear. After that time my physical studio will be done, so budget isn't really a concern, but I guess I can't spend much more than USD$1000 per channel (pre/comp, 24 channels).

The Onyx/HD24XR setup is a "mobile rig" that I use for now to supplement my earnings- record on site, mix at home. The Onyxs work (and impress clients with their shiny-ness) for now, but I'm planning ahead.

I'll look into the DAV pres as well, thanks.

youll love the DAV im sure. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec03/articles/davelectronicsbg1.htm.

Ive never heard anyone say one bad thing about it, other than they wish theyd have heard of it sooner so that they wouldnt have purchased millennias, graces, etc...shoot mick an email.

tell him teddy sent you. Hes a friend.

cpl_crud said:
Well, I've got a three-year period in which to get gear. After that time my physical studio will be done, so budget isn't really a concern, but I guess I can't spend much more than USD$1000 per channel (pre/comp, 24 channels).

The Onyx/HD24XR setup is a "mobile rig" that I use for now to supplement my earnings- record on site, mix at home. The Onyxs work (and impress clients with their shiny-ness) for now, but I'm planning ahead.

I'll look into the DAV pres as well, thanks.

You mentioned not getting the grace, and waiting till you could afford a Great River. The question is what sort of sound are you after. While still a clean channel, the Great River is very different from the Grace.

I realise that there is a difference in sound, that's why I was looking for opinions from people that had both the Grace and the Onyx, and if stepping up to a Grace will be worth the investment.

I see the Onyx as a short-term unit, ie something that will work for now but wouldn't really cut it in a pro studio. Is the Grace something that you'd hold onto if you had a commercial studio, or, when the "money" (in quotes 'cause we all know commercial studios don't make money) is available, would you ditch the Graces and go for the next level up (Great River, etc)?
Or, in other words, on a scale from "Onyx" to "Great river", where does the Grace fall?

I may not be making sense here. Once again I have slept too little this week...

You see.. i've got one of those "grand plans" going on. The stuff i'm buying now (bar the mobile rack) will be used commercially. So I don't want to waste what little resources I have buying gear that I'm going to replace before I really get to use it. And before I hear "put money into the room" etc, I've already got that figured.

This question is more about the "stock" preamps, pres that turn mic level into line level, but don't do anything special. "Special" pres/channel strips are another concern. Once again, this may only make sense in my head...

Last edited:
Back