onyx 400f...the skipping never stops...

shackrock

I'm usually the one to help find the problems with pops/clicks/skipping...but this time I'm just lost. haha.

Just got a 400f... newest firmware/drivers installed on my core 2 duo 2.5Ghz laptop, using firewire 4-pin. 3GB ram, XP Pro (SP3). Brand new laptop!

I disable all hardware on the same IRQ as the firewire chip, so it's alone on 22... Buffer size doesn't seem to make a difference, just means that it will take longer for the first pop/skip/click... Right now it's at 1200 on the Onyx panel, and i get the occational skip.

Anyone else have anymore ideas? CPU usage is always very low, there has to just be something running that the onyx doesnt like...maybe somebody else has experience with this specifically.

thanks all.

Last edited:
how can i check the internal WC? I don't have any external one to sync to, so not sure how I could test it. haha.

Just got a 400f... newest firmware/drivers installed on my core 2 duo 2.5Ghz laptop, using firewire 4-pin. 3GB ram, XP Pro (SP3). Brand new laptop!

I think that uses a DICE II chip, which can be pretty problematic with some FireWire Chipsets. What FireWire chipset does this laptop use? Also, have you tried disabling the wireless hardware/driver to see if the problem goes away?

yeah I've disabled all un-needed services and hardware to see how it works. Still get the occational skip. However, I've had a few other problems with this laptop since trying to debug this, so I am sending it back to get the motherboard/graphics card replaced. Maybe this will fix things!

I also have found out that the firewire port may be a combo card, with the card reader.... uh oh...

Back