Onyx 1640 vs. 1640i

deafen

I'm looking into investing into one of these. From what I can tell, the big difference between them is that the 1640i can send 16 discrete tracks back to the channel strips, instead of just a stereo return like the 1640.

I mix 100% in the box, so that feature doesn't matter to me, and I can pick up a 1640 with Firewire for about $500 less than a 1640i. Are there any other significant differences between the two?

I would read the owners manuals for both those pieces to determine the answer to that question.

The 1640i looks like a pretty boss mixer though. Had 6 aux send/returns, plus has 4 subs rather than two that can input over FW. Also, the 40i has 16 mic preamps instead of 8 pres and 4 stereo channels in the 20i.

I have an Onyx 1640 with the firewire option. It is a hellaciously good machine, but if I had the opportunity, I would spend a bit more and spring for the 1640i precisely because of the expanded fw return capability. That allows true old school console routing in post production, which allows the unit to be the actual thing that virtual controllers emulate. The preamps are good enough to help you in re routing, not hinder. You have a full 16 with either unit. Plus you have enough aux channels to allow for real outboard effects even if those are virtual in nature. You can use two computers with this setup and have a super system and so on. If the $500 is more a matter of convenience than ability, consider springing for the 1640i and never look back.

Hey Treeline - thanks for the input. It's a question of spousal-approved budget, so you could call that "ability". :)

One question, specifically about the 1640. How do you route signals for overdubs? From reading over the manual, the only way that I can figure out how to listen to playback (via FW) and monitor the active input at the same time is to punch both the "Main Mix" and "Firewire" buttons in the Control Room matrix, and manage the mix between them by adjusting the DAW output (for playback level) and fader (for active input). Is that correct, or am I missing something?

That's the one thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on a very nice unit today. I've made enough mistakes (and wasted enough money) buying gear that had one really devastating flaw that wasn't immediately clear.

Or maybe this - punch just the FireWire button in the CR matrix, patch the CR outs into a couple of unused channels, attach the monitors to the main outs, and feed the headphone amp through either an aux bus or by tapping the main inserts. More complicated, but gets me the playback an overdub all on faders. Would that work?

Back