Online Recording Archive

Baz97

Hi all,
I’ve just setup a website where we can post audio clips of our recordings, having worked on it over the last few nights. It will allow you to upload mp3s of any quality, and to then give details of the equipment and setup used in order to achieve your results. As the site grows I will divide it into different sections, and it could be used as a guide for comparing different pieces of equipment. The site could also be useful in helping people figure out why their recording are not as good as they’d wish it to be...

Anyway, I really need the help of you guys in getting this site up and running – all you have to do is post some recordings : ). Ideally it only needs to be a short excerpt. If anyone has some useful suggestions they can email me at bg_ie@yahoo.com. If there is genuine interest in this site I will add more and more features to it.

Thanks for your help,

Here’s the address - http://baz.perlmonk.org/main.cgi

I think this would have VERY limited utility (for the purposes you mentioned) with clips that are that short. Three seconds? Nope.

Why not define a maximum that makes some sense and if people want to post something shorter they can?

Thers no limit on the file length...if people feel its better to upload longer files thats fine.

Anyway, keep the suggestions coming...

i hope you have a huge hard drive to keep all this stuff on...

i mean - do you want it to be used as posting FINAL mixes? stuff that we've all finished here?

OR something like "post any mp3s that you want to link to the mp3 clinic here"??

just expect each member posting 10 5MB mp3's...that's a lot of stuff! ha.
the new mp3.com!!

The server I'm working on has tons of room on it so space wont be an issue.
I'd personally like to see this site develop as a place where the characteristics of recording equipment can be compared. So, if I was in the market for a new condensers mic, i could listen to sound samples as well as asking for commentary, which this site would provide.
We all have different tastes and what some people hear as muddied others will interpret as colored (digital v analog, I guess). I would personally find it really helpful to hear how different setups perform as well as read about them.
So final mixes are not at all necessary, just some samples of your equipment at work.

Would you be catagorizing the songs by artist or equipment used? Since signal chains can be fairly long, and unique as well as the settings used, it would be difficult to get a true perspective. Also, I think raw mixes would be more representative of the equipment used than a final mix because by that stage, so many effects have been applied that the original sound is masked somewhat.

This needs to be in the clinic though, since songs are normally uploaded, reviewed and played there.

Exactly Evildick,
Raw mixes would be better - just a recording which demonstrates the quality and coloration which you achieve with a particular setup.

With regard to categories, the site will most likely be organized around a search mechanism which would probably be the best way to research exactly what your after. I’m totally up to suggestions on this though. But as of now, my main aim is to get people actively interested in this site.

An interesting way to do it would be to sort by artist. Have two different categories, the first being a raw mix and the second being a final mix. That way you don't get lost in navigating a website searching for the final mix of a song. Also you can get a chance to hear a song through it's various stages of development. This would require quite a bit of storage since you would be hosting variations of the same song.

It may sound too complicated, but you could provide a large text area via a link off the song, where the artist can go in depth into how a certain sound was created, with what hardware and what levels, effects and EQ'ing, mic's.

Just a thought.

Yeah, I have it set up so that people can write as much as they like - it might be hard to apprciate that now as the text associated with the posts so far is relitevly short.

The main reason I've set up this site though, is because I am strugling to decide on the kind of equipment I want to buy. I'm totally lost, I'd really like to explore analog recording too.

There are so many directions which this site could take off in and to start with I'm not going to limit its scope. For now im going to think of it as a audio forum where people can explore different approches to recording.

Hey I like the idea. All too often when I visit the mp3 clinic here with my lame connection, I'm put off by the lack of details. I like to know what equipment was used, etc.

I'd prefer your site to cagegorize by recorder: standalone DAW, PC, tape deck, ADAT, whatever. You can always categorize futher by genre within each of those.

Yes, that would be very cool.

Excellent point

Allow the user to do a search for music by artist, equipment, genre. Then again, that's more like setting up a database than it is an individual web for audio. You do realize what you have gotten yourself into don't you. :D

Im not getting carried away at all yet, Ive currently got 5 post but ill need a steady stream of visiyors if this site is to work....

Hi everyone,
I've just updated the site - you can now post a comment or query for each of the audio posts that have already been added.

Thanks again to those who've added to the site, and those who have visited it so far.

If anyone spots a problem with they site they can email me at barrygriffin@mail.ie

Thanks,
Barry

Studio File - http://baz.perlmonk.org/main.cgi

Site update

Hi all,

You can now enter your email and receive notification whenever a new post is added to the site.

For those of you who have yet to visit the site, all you have to do is post some of your recordings to the site and give an account of the equipment etc that you used.

You can also post comments and queries regarding any of the posts already there

Enjoy,

Barry.

Studio File - http://baz.perlmonk.org/main.cgi

Back