One Stop Shopping For Newbies

Kirk Slossar

This forum is incredibly huge and surely a wealth of resources for the home recording artists.

My question is this - can anyone suggest a one stop shopping polace? I mean is there one book or website where I can get the basics to get myself up and running?

I've used the search feature here on the forum, and weeding through all of the info that I don't need is quite time consuming.

Anyhow, great forum, and I hope to be able to contribute some useful info as I gain more experience.

TIA,
Kirk

I have always felt this site is a better choice for learning because you get feedback and answers to your questions, concerns and problems.

"Musician's Guide to Home Recording", by Peter McIan,...

is a book with lots of good general info,...but it's heavily oriented toward basics of recording with analog and mixing consoles.

It's a large format & thick book. It's an older book, originally written in 1986 and updated in the 90's, and some info is dated, but it still has lots of good general information. It has very good, detailed information that was current when the book was written, and is a great resource for anyone who's still based in analog reels & Portastudios.

Examples in the book include detailed effects patching diagrams for an analog mixer of the general sort of the Tascam Series 300 & others.

Current equipment when the book was written included the Tascam M308, Tascam 58, Tascam 246 Portastudio, Tascam 22-4, Tascam 388, Tascam MS-16,... Fostex Model 80, etc,... some older equipment that's still in current use today,... believe it or not.

Info in this book is most applicable to analog reel/console and Portastudio recording and mixing, but the updated section has basics of digital recording, featuring equipment such as the Tascam DA-38 & others.

It also explains "track bouncing" in great detail, several different methods and examples are given. General stuff about music, signal levels & balancing, actual recording and mixing... & that sort of stuff.

The general info in this book is general enough to be applicable to analog or digital. It's a good book, and fits my needs well, YMMV.

Stealthtech said:
I have always felt this site is a better choice for learning because you get feedback and answers to your questions, concerns and problems.

Agreed, but I like to bring something to the table so that I am not asking the same old questions like "what's the difference between balanced or unbalanced...."

:) Thanks for the great input guys.

Back