One of those "What do you think i should buy" threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidkage

Bored of Canada
I have 3 (actually 2) preamps. They're not Neve's but they do what I need them to. A single channel Art Tube MP (get your laughs out of the way), and a 2 channel M Audio DMP3.
I need atleast four for my drum micing method. DMP3 on overheads, art on kick, and i need one for snare. I also aim to buy one that can be used on vox and other stuff too. A good affordable preamp.

I have no compressor. Not one. I understand that a good compressor can go a long way.
So should I get this ART*Pro Channel Tube Mic Preamp - Find the largest selection and guaranteed lowest prices at Musician's Friend. since it's a preamp, compressor, eq all in one

or should I get this ART*Pro VLA II Tube Compressor - Find the largest selection and guaranteed lowest prices at Musician's Friend.

OR should I get this
Golden Age Project*Pre-73 Preamp - Find the largest selection and guaranteed lowest prices at Musician's Friend.

I'd like input on what you think would be better/ more useful

Get the GAP. You'll find a million uses for it. Don't worry about the transformer upgrades, I'm sure they are better, but I've never missed them.

I'd just not worry about compressors and get the input chain down. DMP3's are a great bang-for-the-buck dual-channel preamp. Keep in mind that they have basically zero usable headroom (very important to use more proper and reasonable recording levels). I've heard some nice stuff done with the GAP73 and it wouldn't be a bad thing to have around.

Yeah, my first goal with this is to record an E.P. in my "studio", and I plan on getting it mastered (Massive Mastering seems awesome. I just need to figure out that work flow) so I kind of figured compression in my recording chain wouldnt be mandatory. A good preamp however...

Thanks a lot for that link, I just asked that question in another thread the other day. It's kind of confusing to judge my levels on my Tascam dp008 :o but now I know not to record so hot

Keep in mind that you can always add a compressor to the track you're monitoring --- You can listen to a squashed vocal if you want. Just make sure that you set up your gain structure before adding anything that's going to compromise the dynamics of the source.

It won't "record" compressed (and I'd imagine you wouldn't want to permanently do anything like that to the source without at least hearing it in the context of the mix anyway), but if it gets the whole "feel" thing going, there's nothing illegal about it. Same with verb, delay, etc. Nothing unusual about having all sorts of crap on the headphone mix...

Keep in mind that you can always add a compressor to the track you're monitoring --- You can listen to a squashed vocal if you want. Just make sure that you set up your gain structure before adding anything that's going to compromise the dynamics of the source.

It won't "record" compressed (and I'd imagine you wouldn't want to permanently do anything like that to the source without at least hearing it in the context of the mix anyway), but if it gets the whole "feel" thing going, there's nothing illegal about it. Same with verb, delay, etc. Nothing unusual about having all sorts of crap on the headphone mix...

The new DAW im looking into (Tascam 2488) apparently has some built in compressors that I suppose would come in use during a worst case scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back