"One Of Our Agents"

Here is an experimental instrumental I recorded - I was going for a 1960s-style spy-movie theme, and I decided to see what it would sound like if I actually used all the tracks available on my Fostex MR-8. As always, I mixed it to mono (it's just my style of working).

1. Percussion was programmed (as usual) in HammerHead 1.0 and arranged in Audacity, then ported to the Fostex.
2. Organ is a Hammond sound from a Nord Electro 3, unusually (these days, but common in the 1960s) WITHOUT a Leslie effect.
3. Bass is a Stagg EDB 3/4 electric upright, which I tend to use these days instead of bass guitar,
4. Mellotron strings in the bridge sections, again from the Nord.
5. Autoharp, from a surprisingly authentic iPad app.
6. "Lead" bass guitar; Encore Precision copy played with a pick for an extra-twangy sound. I originally used it throughout the song, but decided it worked best just in the bridge.
7. Lead synthesiser. Real analogue, from a Korg Volca Keys played via MIDI from the Nord keyboard. A few bum notes in the last chorus, but it's all about the feel...
8. More Mellotron strings in the main sections.

The tron strings are a bit strident in places.
Otherwise very cool - I enjoy mono.
The synth warble/note bends sound out of place in the piece though.

James Bond would be proud.

As a side note, all the synths sound exactly like synths. Randomizing a bit might not be a bad plot twist.

JJ.

Back