One more from me.

emergencyexit

Hey guys,
Last time a posted a sont here (like 4 days ago) I got some great feedback with out getting any "you suck stop trying". Hopefully this song wont be that bad either and I'll get some good help.

The begining is a little too out there, but I'll fix that soon I just only had 30 minutes to mix this one yesterday. Tell me how it is, be as harsh as you want!

Thanks,
Ben

First, too much compression over the whole mix. Everytime the kick hits, I hear the mix duck. Lighten up on that and the rest wouldn't be bad at all.

Interesting orchestral texture to the intro. I like the low gtr lines and bass combination. Agree with Track Rat about the compression/kick. Cymbals are kind of hot during the intro. Lots of sibilance on the vocal. I liked the gtr solo at 2:51 that develops the Arabic character of the gtr riff used throughout. The bass and drums sound really good during the gtr solo also. Good ending... and I liked the reverb tail on the staccato ending chord.

Tim

You suck. Stop trying.

Just kidding man. You had to know that was gonna come sometime. :D Sounds good. Again, I might mention the compression thing, but you know about it already, so I won't really go into it. There's something about the cymbals that, well honestly, kinda bugs me a little bit. I'm not sure what it is, could be some peaking somewhere, but its hard to tell. Overall though, nice track, good writing, great song! I thought that reverb at the very end was really cool, too. Great job!

Man I think this is great, overall good job. If you would let the drums come out of the mix (by loosing much of the compression), I think you would have a first class mix. I loved how it was spacious and you feel like there is lots of room in the mix. It was very comfortable on my ears, and I could definitly listen to more. I just want the drums to kick my butt.

The drums just don't grab me. I just think they need to pop out of the mix a bit, they sounded a bit smashed to me, but I guess I am mistaken. Still, this is some great sounding music overall. You could teach alot of people about making that style of music sound good. Most mixes I hear in the same style are very muddy, and your ears take a beating. I can listen to your entire song and not feel that way. I know several bands that would be jealous to get a sound like that.

emergencyexit said:
Drums aren't really compressed since im using drumagog for them... What is it that you want?

Ben

Possibly he's referring to the fact that the entire mix is highly compressed to the point of pumping, and if it wasn't then the drums would sound better.

Tim

can't add anything to what the others have said. It's a very cool tune but way too compressed and the drums sound like toys compared to everything else. You do this style awesomely though.

boomtap said:
The drums just don't grab me. I just think they need to pop out of the mix a bit, they sounded a bit smashed to me, but I guess I am mistaken. Still, this is some great sounding music overall. You could teach alot of people about making that style of music sound good. Most mixes I hear in the same style are very muddy, and your ears take a beating. I can listen to your entire song and not feel that way. I know several bands that would be jealous to get a sound like that.

WOW. Thanks a lot man, I don't think I could teach to record this since I'm just learning myself. I do a lot of listening thats how I get all my basic stuff then sit with the track for like an hour and just think about how it sounds live, then simply... GET THAT SOUND. Sometimes I'm lucky, sometimes not, but i'm willing to try my hardest to get "that sound", I guess I am just a hard worker :rolleyes:

I'll work on the over compression, there may be a guitar pumping compression wayyy to much in there that im just not noticing. I stay away from compression on the master track since it never really sounds real, and although I know that a lot of metal or hard rock these days has that fake sound, I don't want that. They way I see it, stuff sounded good in the older days, they older days are real, there for stuff sounds good real (A little deductive reasoning for you haha). Enough of me blabbering on. Anyway, thank you for all your comments I'm gonna work on it some more see what I get and maybe post again.

Thanks a ton,

Ben

Back