... One Man's Quest Into Studio Design

GCR

I'm posting this thread for a few reasons.

1. To have a place to document my process.
  2. To post my progress and get input and answers to problems/questions that arise in "Real Time".
  3. So others may read it an hopefully provide answers to their questions.
  4. To offer my help in any way in gratitude for your help.

In my first post I asked a question, but provided a great deal of information on the nature of this project and my goals for it. I will cut and paste that information to this post in Lei of re-typing it.

Hello,

I lurk here every now and again, but have never posted.
As this project goes from paper to reality, I'm sure that will change.

I'm a musician (Drums), who pays the bills by day as an Architect & Electrical Engineer (Hey, It's a job )

So, Music is not new to me, and construction and it's techniques are not new to me... but acoustical engineering is. I've been researching, for some time now, what it would take to finally have a proper music studio w/ recording capabilities. And a proper home outside the home for all my kits and gear.

Now, I'm not a sound engineer either but would like to expand my music interest by being able to record.

I've taken some considerable time researching all aspects of this project and have identified & set realistic goals for what I want out of this.

Here is the short and sweet of it in an attempt to not get too long winded. (If I haven't already)

• Playing: Playing Music Is My Primary Goal.. Both Alone & w/ a full Band. (Practice & Rehearsal Space) Hard Rock & Punk
  • Recording: For Fun, MySpace, Feedback & Demos. Will be initially investing about $1500-$2000 in Gear. (See Gear List Below)
  • Isolation: Achieve Reasonable Isolation so as to not bother my neighbors w/ late night practices. Also, To Isolate Control Room from Studio Space. (If I decide to go that route)
  • Room Acoustics: To achieve a nice balance of sound in both rooms. Control of Highs, Mids & Lows.

I'm at the point where I'm about to draw all this up and put all my research into the design phase. The base of this design will start with a relatively standard garage design. (Both for cost & portability. If I move, I'm taking it with me)

The SAE Site has been my bible for research into this subject.

Here is what the Recording end of thing will be. It allows for expansion and fits my personal needs & Goals.

• Dell WorkStation w/ Flat Screen
  • PreSonus FirePod or FireStudio (w/ Monitor Station Remote)
  • PreSonus FaderPort Software Automation and Transport Controller
  • HP4 Discrete 4-Channel Headphone Amp
  • Studio Monitors
  • Assorted Mics (Shure Sm57, Sm58's etc...)
  • Assorted Cables, Stands, & Gear

This set up will allow for a space saving design, cost, & expandability.

See This Post For Questions That Were Asked & Answered

I will try to document every step of my quest in this thread. From Schematic Design to Design Development to Construction Documents to Construction to Finished Project.

This may take me 1 month or 1 year as I have no definitive time-line and as with everything in life, money is a factor.

I have spent some considerable time researching the many aspects of this project and feel I have identified my realistic goals.

The Sites Below have been invaluable to my research.

HomeRecording.Com
Acoustics 101
SAE (This has been my bible)
Acoustic Treatment and Design (by Ethan Winer)
The Golden Ratio In Studio Design
Recording Studio Design

Let Thank Each And Everyone Of You In Advance For Your Input In Thread & My Journey.

When I started thinking about this project, there was a lot to take in (and still a lot more to go)... I had research many aspects of Studio Design including Gear, Construction, Acoustics, Environmental, Spatial, Aesthetics, and on and on. Each subject matter alone has tons of information to learn and at the end of the day are all interconnected.

(Edit** I just realized my join date. I've been researching this off and on for just about a year now, just to give you an idea)

Like, I may be researching how to isolate sound in a space from escaping (or entering)... Then you're left with an airtight room that sounds bad. So now you start to research Acoustics and how to address the sound trapped in the room. Now since you have an air tight room (At least you hope to), you have to figure out how to get fresh air in there otherwise Co2 level will rise. You also want to keep a constant Temperature & Humidity to protect the instruments and be comfortable, but now you've put a "hole" in your airtight room. How do you keep sound from traveling through the HVAC. And you need electric outlets, but what are your electrical needs? So now you research the gear you want in the space. The outlets also put holes in your airtight room, how to you address this... you start to get the point. It's a lot of back an forth between subject matter all toward the same goal.

Luckily with my education in Architecture & Engineering, I've been taught a systematic approach to identify problems like these and find their solutions. That's not to say "I Know everything on the subject matter", but it's enough to start the schematic design phase and ask the questions that matter.

Last edited:
So, What Type OF Building Do I Want?

I know that I want my studio detached from the house, So I figure I have 3 types of building approaches to my studio.

"Stick Built" (Regardless of material), which would mean an all new building with foundation, wall, roof, etc...

• Pros: The most custom option. It could be any size, shape, or design you want. You have the option to pick building materials, that right off the bat, help you acoustically meet your goals.
  • Cons: Permanent (This subject personal to my goals), Most costly, more tome to build. Not really a DIY Project. There will be architectural, structural, electrical & mechanical issues that will all require the hiring of professionals. Also, unless you are really knowledgeable at construction, this is not a DIY project.

"Pre Fab" This could be a "Garage Kit" from 84 Lumber, or a pole barn, etc...

• Pro: Cost and Time. You basically order a "kit of parts" and just put it together. According to size, this could be a DIY project or may require tradesmen. (However, A "Slab on Grade" will have to be poured in most cases.)
  • Cons: Permanent, Not as custom.

"Roll Off Building" This is where you order a "finished" building and they drop it off (or in some cases construct it on site, not unlike the "Pre Fab"

• Pros: Because the building is not permanent, many time it will fall outside building codes. (This is a good thing if you have ever had to deal with code officials :p ). You can take it with you if you move (If it was a true roll off)
  • Cheapest (How? You don't have to pay for a slab many times, building fees, professional, or tradesmen (Although some labor was obviously figured in the cost). Time, order it.. it shows up.. and is there and ready for Phase II
  • Cons: Not too custom at all. Some extra thought will have to be given to fully waterproofing the structure (Mostly issues from below). Widths typically are not as wide as the above 2 options due to transportation.

For me, I want to be able to take it with me If I move. I would hate to spend all that money on the inside and not be able to get a return on it. Unless you're lucky enough to sell to another musician, you're at a loss. Not having to deal w/ building code issues is a real bonus for me. Here, a permanent structure greatly increases you taxes. So there are continual cost to think about when doing a permanent structure.

So my base will be a roll off type structure. (14'W x 28'L) Cost $5-6k
There's also other issues that led to this decision, like Site, etc... Which I'll go into.

Last edited:
Neighborhood Site Plan

RED - MY HOUSE
YELLOW - RESIDENTIAL
GREEN - COMMERCIAL
BLUE - MIXED USE (RES/COM)

ORANGE - PRIMARY ROAD
LT. YELLOW - SECONDARY ROAD

I live in a small USA town, but on the main road that runs through it. It is a mixed use area where residential & commercial properties exist together.

Road Noise, Proximity To Neighbors, and Small Lot Size are all issues to be considered.

You're an architect who is wary of building codes and inspections :confused:

Garage doors are difficult to soundproof. You'll almost have to build an interior wall behind it, which obviously limits the utility of the garage door.

You're an architect who is wary of building codes and inspections :confused:

Garage doors are difficult to soundproof. You'll almost have to build an interior wall behind it, which obviously limits the utility of the garage door.

I'm not "wary" of them, I wish to avoid them. It's not as If I don't know how to build a "safe" structure. Inspections mean permits, permits cost money. Inspections cost money. design changes cost money. & then the structure is registered w/ the tax office and could raise my taxes as much as $1k per year. Would you want to put out all this money for a studio and have to continue to pay as much as $100/mo for the privilege of owning it???

So, the "temporary structure" is a loophole. (At least here, every township is different)

My main motivation is the portability. I want to be able to move it should I have to.. The No "building codes and inspections" is a bonus.

And I won't get into the Architect/Inspecture... Educated/Non-Educated Debate.

The Garage can be ordered w/ any door configuration, including not having a garage door at all. All I have to do is send then a drawing of where I want the doors and what type.

However, If you should get a structure that has the garage door, you can simply remove the door, frame out the opening, & add a door if desired.

Last edited:
I'm not "wary" of them, I wish to avoid them. It's not as If I don't know how to build a "safe" structure. Inspections mean permits, permits cost money. Inspections cost money. design changes cost money. & then the structure is registered w/ the tax office and could raise my taxes as much as $1k per year.

Well, where I live an accessory structure would be subject to permits and inspection, or it would be illegal. If your lot is very small, there could be setback and lot coverage issues.

Also, your neighbors might have something to say about a 400ft2 structure that is plopped down in a day. I've had neighbors call code enforcement on me before . . . unfortunately for them, I did have the right to clear five acres of land with no permits, under an agricultural exemption :D

I assume this structure is going to have some sort of foundation, otherwise sound will leak like a sieve through the floor, unless you build a floating floor inside, which starts to chip away at the advantages of the prefab structure. In fact in framing a complete new set of interior walls, ceiling, and floor, it is questionable why that is a more efficient construction than framing the exterior walls to be soundproof in the first place.

Again, as an architect I'm sure you know all this, but plenty of less knowledgeable people will read this board and perhaps be misled into thinking a prefab structure is a magic bullet to avoid building codes.

And the taxes on my house are only a little more than $1K/year :) You say you don't want to pay taxes on it; is that a legal exception, or avoidance? Will it be insurable without an occupancy permit?

Well, where I live an accessory structure would be subject to permits and inspection, or it would be illegal. If your lot is very small, there could be setback and lot coverage issues.

Also, your neighbors might have something to say about a 400ft2 structure that is plopped down in a day. I've had neighbors call code enforcement on me before . . . unfortunately for them, I did have the right to clear five acres of land with no permits, under an agricultural exemption :D

I assume this structure is going to have some sort of foundation, otherwise sound will leak like a sieve through the floor, unless you build a floating floor inside, which starts to chip away at the advantages of the prefab structure. In fact in framing a complete new set of interior walls, ceiling, and floor, it is questionable why that is a more efficient construction than framing the exterior walls to be soundproof in the first place.

Again, as an architect I'm sure you know all this, but plenty of less knowledgeable people will read this board and perhaps be misled into thinking a prefab structure is a magic bullet to avoid building codes.

And the taxes on my house are only a little more than $1K/year :) You say you don't want to pay taxes on it; is that a legal exception, or avoidance? Will it be insurable without an occupancy permit?

Well, I absolutely don't want to mislead anybody, and it should be noted that not only will each state adopt it's own set of building codes, but each county, township & district... So, I'm not advising anybody to take this approach. You have to check your local codes and obtain the required permits. (Unless you work at night :) )

I should also clarify that this building will require a permit, but not building permits which are a whole different ball game. This structure is deemed as "temporary" and fall under different guidelines. You are correct also on set backs. Here there is a 3' from property line set back, which in my case causes no significant problems.

The same weird thing happens here w/ deck. If the deck is "Mechanically Fixed" to your house, it is deemed a permanent structure and you're taxed on it. If you float it, you're not. (Look for the loopholes where ever you can)

I wish my taxes were 1k.. here, for my little (by most standards) lot is over 4k/yr., and climbing... These buildings are a "legal exception" because the thought is you will take it with you (though most never do).

Occupancy: Well, this I admit is a Grey Area, and I'm going to take a don't ask, don't tell stance on it. Plenty of people turn these building into spaces where they spend time, whether it be a wood-shop, or motorcycle-shop, or sewing room, Whatever... For me, I would define "Occupancy" as somebody sleeping and living in the space (I love playing my drums, but I wouldn't go that far. Although it may serve as an oasis for when I'm in the dog house for buying "Another Damn Drum Set" :Wife: ) ;)

This building can be covered under home owners insurance, but I doubt I could claim all the extra construction materials. I can however claim all the gear, and do have all my gear currently listed on my home owners insurance.

Construction: Well, lets keep in mind, this thread is going to be a step-by-step thing... Right now I'm in the "Schematic Design Phase" where we think "Outside the box" (No pun intended.. OK, well maybe a little pun). This is the phase where you start to identify problematic areas and research the solution.. it is quite possible for a problem to arise that makes your initial concept moot, and brings you to a totally different solution & approach.

As it stand now, based on my research, I will indeed be building a room inside a room, or floating it. Special attention will have to be given to the floor for both thermal & acoustic insulation, but no foundation is Req'd. The actual "Roll Off" Structure will serve little more than protection from the elements. It will have very Little acoustical value. However, regardless of building type, this is going to be the case (for the most part).
The only real building material that I've come across that not only serves as the facade of building but also has some significant acoustical value is CMU (Hollow Concrete Masonry Units). And the reason for that is the air gap in the material and sheer mass... In most cases, you really need to separate (or Isolate) your Studio Space from the Main Building anyway (and it's structure).

Additionally, I never said this method is a magic bullet or going to be more efficient, or would be right for you (proverbial)... as a matter of fact, if I did either of the 2 other methods I mentioned DIY, It would probably cost much less (Initial Cost)... I did however mention that one of the primary objective for myself was it to be "portable"... the other 2 methods do not allow this. And, I don't need a "Huge" space (It may be nice, but I don't need it). The room we practice in now is only about 11'x14' and serves our purpose just fine... This will be a large step up. Identifying realistic goals and needs is an important first step.

But again, I'm in a schematic design phase and I'm "Thinking Out Load" in this thread In hopes that others may read it and will provide real time input. You all are more experienced in the subject matter of sound & how to treat it, and "What you did" to find a solution to this problem or that is invaluable to me...

Gzzzz.... all these comments, I might think you were a building inspector in real life. (Kidding) :p

Last edited:
A lot of work for such a small space. It will be hard to do much beyond basic solo tracking and mixing in a studio that size.

If that is your goal then... carry on. :D

Gzzzz.... all these comments, I might think you were a building inspector in real life. (Kidding) :p

haha! The inspector here looks like he's a surfer. He's pretty cool, actually. Definitely cooler than I am :(

Well I think I'm done playing devil's advocate, now you can post some plans :D

Site Plan

Some site issues.

• Lot size is relatively small
  • Close proximity to neighbors
  • Shared Driveway & "Shed"

See footprint of "Proposed Studio"

Attachments

• SitePlan001.jpg
    SitePlan001.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 176
Scheme 001 - Floor Plan

Ok, here's my first go at the floor plan... and actually, it looks as if it will fit my needs pretty well. Input?

Attachments

• STUDIO-001.jpg
    STUDIO-001.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
I'm generally known as a wet blanket in most circles so don't let me get you down but that control room is going to drive you nuts. It's way too small for proper sound treatment and work space. The reality of a studio is that everyone spends 90% of their time in the control room so you need room for the entire band to sit on the couch and piss you off by talking and eating chips loudly.

That structure is just big enough to be a good tracking room or control room. If you could add on a second shed for the control room it would give you space to work, treat the sound and give you good isolation if the buildings are separate.

I'm generally known as a wet blanket in most circles

Well.. Thanks for the warning. :D

I have to say, that even know this is a Recording Forum, and that is going to be the main focus of it's members, I'm a musician, and this project's main focus is for the rehearsal & playing of music. The fact that I can record if desired is a added bonus. Thats being said, all the same principles of isolation & acoustics apply whether it be a rehearsal room or Live Room.

Now don't take that as me not heeding your advice, because it come greatly appreciated... and you are probably right... I may very well kick myself in the ass for not having a larger control room, but I keeping focused on my personal set of goals, and I feel it will fit my needs fine. This is also one of the reason I'm going with a totally digital set-up, as it will save space that analog equipment would otherwise take up. At the most, I only see 2 people in the control room. If others want to "Sit In", I could send another set of feeds to the "Live Room" to monitors so they can listen as I tweak. If I'm way off, by all means I'd love to hear a rebuttal.

And this goes for anybody who wishes to add a comment. Please don't take my rebuttals as being "Defensive"... This type of banter is what propagates "Critical Thinking" and is the type of conversation that happen everyday as an Architect.

To be asked "Why is this like that", and for my to say "I Don't' know" is not an acceptable answer in my field... you had better be able to back your decision (right or wrong) or you need to go back to the drawing board.

So thank you for your input. I will explore pushing the room in the longitudinal direction a little more.

Section @ Studio

Section through the studio space facing the drum riser & Panel Absorbers.
I'm working on other sections as we speak.
Right now I'm thinking laminate wood floors & a suspended ceiling system using ACT (Acoustical Ceiling Tile)
But I could do a drop drywall ceiling and either adhere acoustical tile to the drywall or even do fancy ACT clouds above. Vary the heights & pattern.

Attachments

• STUDIO-SECTION-001.jpg
    STUDIO-SECTION-001.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Section @ Studio II

Section @ Studio Ii

Attachments

• STUDIO-SECTION-002.jpg
    STUDIO-SECTION-002.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Section @ Control Room

Section @ Control Room

Attachments

• STUDIO-SECTION-003.jpg
    STUDIO-SECTION-003.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 159
I'm a musician, and this project's main focus is for the rehearsal & playing of music.

If that's the case then I would recomend just going with one big room and a vocal booth. Small control rooms are very difficult to treat properly so instead of being stuck with a crappy control room just use the big room for everything. Daniel Lanois and other engineers record that way and if you are engineering and playing it makes things much easier. Then you just need a small vocal booth so you can separate the singer from the drums for live tracking a band at once.

I would keep the ceiling open and just add some diffusion/absorption to kill any ringing. Drum tracks sound great when you have the height to raise the OH mics way above the kit.

Here's my crazy studio so maybe you can understand my approach to acoustic spaces http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=242640

TR...

Thanks again for the input. That's the second time that advice have been given so I'm definitely going to explore "Scheme II" now which will incorporate the advice given.

What is a Min Size Vocal booth you (or others) would recommend?

Anybody else have advice or input on the design I posted thus far, or input into the concept of a "All In One" studio?

I have some nice ideas for the ceiling...
I had to redesign a Natatorium (indoor pool) for a school, and one of the design problems was acoustics. The pool had nothing to absorb the sound in the space and was all concrete construction (Even the roof/ceiling)...

So I researched and went with a hanging baffle system w/ 2'x4' baffles.
I do the same thing w/ gymnasium designs.

Baffles_Larger.jpg

Studio Space or Not, That Space in your link is Architecturally Awesome. What is it? Do you own it, or rent it?

Back