One Last Question, Please: Why Isn't Reaper A Recommended Standard Yet??

Mike Freze

Sorry, forgot to ask this. I have bought like ten new recent books on home recording/composition. Most (copyright 2010-2008) mention a lot of great software out there: Sonar, Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic, Reason, Acid Pro, Sound Forge, Ableton Live, Sequel, GarageBand, etc.

Yet NONE of them suggest Reaper as a way to go. Why?? These are very recent books. Is it because Reaper hasen't been around along enough to be noticed or is there another reason? Compatability problems? Reaper has been around for a few years: yet some programs like Sequel are very recent.

I LOVE Reaper. But why do all software authors avoid including Reaper as a great program?

Mike Freze

Because it's not backed by some mega conglomerate super corporation. It's just a bunch of dorks writing code.

Got it. Makes sense. Thanks, Greg. You have a way of saying it like it is in a few words (unlike me who likes to ramble; a bad habit I'm trying to break). Guess it's because I am an author of 7 books years ago and I'm always having to write things out in detail out of habit. Again, I'm learning from people like you. I used to ramble on this forum but i think I'm getting better at that too.

Mike

Well, there are a few books featuring REAPER on the user guide page:
REAPER | User Guide

Sound on Sound posts articles on REAPER pretty often and Kenny Gioia made a bunch of video tutorials on the Groove3 website.
I think there's a "tutorials for REAPER" DVD in the works, too.

But like Greg said, "Because it's not backed by some mega conglomerate super corporation. It's just a bunch of dorks writing code."

:D

Thanks, d.bop!

I just got "Reaper Power!" in the mail today: awesome book, 450 pages, CD included, etc. I can't believe how much Reaper offers compared to my Cubase LE!! Unlimited this and that, lots of rendering options, way more sampling/bit rate choices, 200 plug ins, loop options, separation of channel options, mastering tools, etc.

It will take time, but it will be worth it.

Hey: can I download Reaper to my other home computer (I paid for the first one), paste my license code, without having to pay another $40 on my second home computer??

Mike

REAPER's my favorite :D (I'm an ex-Sonar guy)

Hey: can I download Reaper to my other home computer (I paid for the first one), paste my license code, without having to pay another $40 on my second home computer??

Technically yes. I think the license states that you can have multiple copies of REAPER installed but you're only allowed to use your REAPER license on one machine at a time (unless you're running a ReaMote setup, obviously.)

Thanks. But to use Reaper on only "one machine at a time." That sounds weird (or confusing). Does that mean that I can use it on my laptop, close out, then go downstairs and open it up on my desktop to work on it on just with that computer at that time, etc?? What if I have Reaper open on both my laptop and my desktop computer at the same time? Will they both function that way for the one $40 license fee? Sometimes I bounce between both computers depending if I'm bouncing around between my downstairs and upstairs.

No matter how you look at it, life is a bitch and so complicated even over simple things, huh? (ha-ha).

Mike

Thanks. But to use Reaper on only "one machine at a time." That sounds weird (or confusing). Does that mean that I can use it on my laptop, close out, then go downstairs and open it up on my desktop to work on it on just with that computer at that time, etc?? What if I have Reaper open on both my laptop and my desktop computer at the same time? Will they both function that way for the one $40 license fee? Sometimes I bounce between both computers depending if I'm bouncing around between my downstairs and upstairs.

No matter how you look at it, life is a bitch and so complicated even over simple things, huh? (ha-ha).

Mike

Heh, I should have said "don't quote me on that." I'm sure in the TOS it's explained in a not-so-complicated way :D

From what I understand, if you have two computers in front of you, both of them running REAPER at the same time, you should buy two licenses.

... found it
REAPER License and User Agreement said:
1.5 Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to use the Software on one (1) computer any given time. This License is not a sale of the Software or any other copy. Cockos retains title and ownership of the Software and documentation, including all intellectual property rights. No title to the intellectual property in the Software is transferred to you. You will not acquire any rights to the Software except as expressly set forth herein.

Can't say it's not recommended. Sound on Sound magazine put out a "Smart Guide" recently. Reaper has it's own section (pp 140-156), just like Cubase, ProTools, Reason, Sonar and some others. Got some useful info there, too.

Back