One funky, one not so funky ;)

JFogarty

Check out the newest KayJay tunes. The funky one is "My Hot Organ" and the not funky one is "Einstein's Piano".

I'm really happy how Einstein's Piano has turned out, though the ending need some more mixing work.

Too much room sound on the drums in My Hot Organ, I think I'll redo that.

Any suggetsions, thoughts, general concerns, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the link

KayJay and the Wavefunkshuns

Listening to einsteins pno...first

picky...but 5 secs of silence before the song starts. The opening pno sounds kinda like a "lesson plan" for a pno student, and is kinda non-musical sounding. The other backing, keyboard/elec.pno has an clashing upbeat attack, that I don't care for too much. Then the sawtooth synth bass comes buzzing in at 1;00 for a brief second, returns, and doesn't seem to fit. At 1:29, things fill out much better. Your vocals need to come up too....they're very nice, so don't hide 'em. String pad at 2:40...sounds like you just picked a new sound, and said; "let's add it here." ...and sounds very generic as a cheapie string sound, without tweaking. I think this has potential for a VERY good tune, but you need to pay more attention to the details more, and make the repetative nature of the song come off more as a rehearsed arrangement, with stronger dynamics, climaxes, anti-climaxes...and so on.

my hot organ...

nice tune name:D
yeah..the drums are very "roomy" sounding. You establish the groove right off the bat...very good, but then move on...up to :50 secs of the same riff, before you change...and to me, it needs to be killer, to last almost a minute of just listening to a groove and keep things interestiing. Good organ sound. If the title is *boasting* about a hot organ...hey, play some funky music white boy....kick that organ playing up a notch or two. Like overdub another organ for a solo track. Watch the timing on the drums there too:( ...and in general overall. Remember, the song is unfinished(mix-wise) as long as your trail out ending notes just cut off...be careful there too. I'm nit picky about that kinda stuff.

I thought the wierd synth bass would be cool, cause it didn't fit. Like it would be a little bit out of place.

And on my hot organ, the idea of having some funky organ is a graet idea. But I'm not very good at playing the keyboards, so I couldn't really do too much.

Oh and you didn't mention this, but the guitar playing at the end totally sucks.

your organ is on fire!!!! cool down brother, your smokin!!!!

got agree about the drums, it might benefit from a metronome. Remember drums are the backbone, foundation and driving force of most every song, therefore they deserve the most attention, only second to vocals....

JFogarty said:

Any general concerns, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

KayJay and the Wavefunkshuns

I have some general concerns. I dont know what equipment you are using so I cant be to direce, but it sounds very demo.

The piano, drums and voice sound like they were recorded in diff rooms and different places. I think you also need to pan.

THe piano and drums should be more in-your face, and the vox can be smoother.

THe playing though is good.

Funk on!

Cyan,

Everything in that song is on my Yamaha S80, exept the vocals. I think most of the patches come with some reverb on them to make them sound better alone. You think I should back off on that, or is it something I could fix with EQ?

Digging the smooth melodies in Einsteins Piano. From what I could gather from the vocals, It sounds like you have a voice that deserves to be heard. By all means bring it forward. I'd love to take that melody and slap down some vicious/offensive lyrics.(but thats another issue).

My Hot Organ kinda reminded me of that one Beastie Boy's instrumental album called something like the up sound from way down, or some s***, which is a good thing. right on.

Back