One for the gear lust fans......never seen one before!

The ATR-80/32 did exist.But it was a non-standard track format and came out around the same time as the DA-88.32 tracks@$45,000 or 32-48 tracks of DA-88s-around $20,000 with $25.000 left over for a mixer,effects speakers etc.?The first Traveling Wilburys,Tori Amos's Under the Pink and some of the Beastie Boys albums were done on a ATR-80/24.It was a beautiful Machine.

The ATR-80/32 did exist.But it was a non-standard track format and came out around the same time as the DA-88.32 tracks@$45,000 or 32-48 tracks of DA-88s-around $20,000 with $25.000 left over for a mixer,effects speakers etc.?The first Traveling Wilburys,Tori Amos's Under the Pink and some of the Beastie Boys albums were done on a ATR-80/24.It was a beautiful Machine.

how did it fare vs. otaris and studers ? are the parts impossible to find ? what else do you remember about this machine

thanks,

Felipe

I was holding out for 48 tracks on 4-inch tape so I could use the 14-inch reels as spare tires on my Mazda in case I ever had a flat, but it never became available.

What am I saying? It was not a Mazda, but a Ford pinto, which exploded before I ever had a flat tire.

how did it fare vs. otaris and studers ? are the parts impossible to find ? what else do you remember about this machine

thanks,

Felipe

Parts have not been a problem for the ATR-80 I own. Thats mainly because it hasnt required any :-) But that hasnt stopped me from stockpiling parts as I find them. Ive acquired a full complement of circuit boards, a spare P/S, reel motors and NOS Head stacks. Last year a guy on eBay was cleaning out Tascam ATR stuff, he had new cards sealed in the antistatic bags for $19.95 each. The Sony APRs I have are another story, the parts are impossible to find unless you stumble on one being rendered for parts.

I like it more than I liked the Otaris in the large format. I use Otari MTR-12s for mixdown though, so I am not anti-otari. That Otari Pictured a page ago (the 80 series) is limited to 10" reels IIRC. No sense comparing it to a Studer as those things have an aura about them, LOL But, in my experience the ATR is quieter and the transport is better, very easy on tape. YMMV

The ATR-80/24 was a piece of cake to align and tension adjustments were stable.There were a few issues when AMPEX 499 and SCOTCH 996 came out, but there were mods.available to bump up the bias current to properly bias for the hi output tape.

Back