on the softer side -- "Tell Us How"

cygnus

I was attempting to create a lot of space in this mix so all instruments could be heard clearly.
Underneath and around the beautiful vocal track (thanks to Holly Hanson), I have several different instruments popping in and out.
-12 string guitar panned to one side
- piano
- nylon stringed guitar
- (2nd half of the song) a low tom drum panned with its reverb tail on the opposite side
- (2nd half of the song) an effected (voice box) electric guitar playing a similar melody under the vocal

So my question to all of you, was i successful in creating this space?
Can you hear the instruments clearly?

SoundClick artist: Allison's Engine - page with MP3 music downloads

Thanks for listening

The bass is really missing some opportunities to shine as a melodic instrument on this song. Until the drums kick in properly, there's no reason for the bass to "hold it down".

Plenty of space and silence in the mix. I can hear the instruments clearly. Nice work.

I think all the musical elements work well in general, and I really like Holly's voice. Her vibrato sounds a bit weird at times. The extra vocals which come in left and right are ust a bit loud . . . it would be good to get them on the same plain as the main vocal.

I wasn't too fussed about what the bass was playing, but I wasn't overly keen on the sound (but that's just my preference rather than a mixing issue).

You might like to introduce some percussion earlier . . . maybe around 44 seconds a shaker or something could appear to help with the flow.

Holding off on the kit until well into the song is kind of neat . . . it's a technique I've used myself. But sometimes you have to think 'why bother?' when it only appears in the end. I got a little bit of that feeling with this track. By the time it started I was thinking, 'hey, this song is working okay without.' But I did like the lead playing, and the kit is needed to support that. Maybe it could be a bit more prominent in the mix.

I enjoyed listening to the track.

Back