on board distortion

I can't seem to keep from getting bored with my amp or pedals for any extended period of time, so I doubt I would not get bored with that.

its a great idea, it just would have had to have come out before the stompbox was invented.

= )
These days I'm a little bit bored with my guitars sound and I have already changed all the pickups (I do not want to buy a new one cause I travel due to studying)... so I thought this time I can put some more circuitry into the guitar...

but probably I would also get bored... Instead I should start designin/building pedals...

sorry for replying this late,

I have used some cheap amps, but now I'm using fender vibro champ at home, and there is rack mount pod pro (do not the exact name) in the school's studio..

my real problem is I am using low output pickups and I am very happy with them in general, but sometimes I need more output and I was wondering if I could do that with onboard effects.

And if you ask why onboard insted of a stomp box? I change the country a lot for studies..

I don't know how good it would sound. BTW what kind of amps have you used and gotten tired of them?

Bored. So I need an extended break. I go through phases and amps just do not fit.

Super reverb, jcm800, thd bivalve which i sold and then bought a univalve. Hot Rod Deluxe, blues jr, a pro jr that i sold and then bought another and sold that.

This is over the course of years. But I cannot afford to keep all of them at the same time so they get sold to fund the purchase of what floats my boat at the moment. it still is not cheap and all that money would probably have allowed me a decent collection...but thats how it goes.

all i own right now is a cheap 15 watt marshall practice amp and my UniValve. And none of that touches the guitars or pedals.

Last edited:
I have designed and built several simular guitar preamps , My latest one was for my Bass and it has a Gain controll and Bass and treble controlls , at the lowest gain setting the bass has a nice clean boost with ages of sustain and at max gain it is a screaming distortion monster good for that Fuzz bass sound .....

I also just have a simple booster in my new ESP electric guitar that Dramaticly increases the pressence and really helps to overdrive the Tubes in my amp , it sounds just unbelieveable compared to the stock ESP .....

and best of all it costs under $5 to make one and can be built and installed in under an hour ......

Cheers

Minion do you have any advice on building them? I was thinking of trying to build one someday

Minion do you have any advice on building them? I was thinking of trying to build one someday

Well what exactly do you want , a boost , overdrive or distortion ?? any other features ?? Like I said before I have a few simple designs for on board electronics and I would be happy to share them but you will need some parts equipment , knowlege and know how ......

Here is the design I put in my ESP , it is a big booster , good for increaseing your signal and help overdrive yer tubes but not a distortion but can be made into one easilly ....

Actgit-pre-pcb.jpg

Cheers

Thanks a lot...

In fact I must admit in shame that I am an analog&mixed signal IC designer, but I always feel strange when I am working with discrete- off the shelf circuits...

I have lots of ideas (most of them are crap), but somehow they never make it out from the transistor level simulations like cadence, or hdl or matlab...

I just need some schematics to play and use as a basis...

But whenever I think about these circuits the first thing that comes to mind is 9V is too much for vdd. 3 is much better, but then swing will be small (relatively) again, but then the 9V batteries are quite large... etc...

Then I began to combine my ideas and it becomes full of switches and knobs...

But thanks a lot really...

Back