On air signs

I've wondered the same thing. I'd be concerned about introducing anything that could add noise to the volume fader.

Another angle is to have a volume fader that you can also send out as a MIDI message and then have the MIDI activate the light.

Here's some, mostly "on air" type signs:
http://audio-video-supply.markertek.com/search?w=recording+light
Those prices will get ya real creative!

You could even just have a red lightbulb with a "RECORDING" sign by it.

I have one that looks like that second one on the Markertek page (the "classic" one), only mine is an authentic one I got from a TV studio that was doing some remodeling. It's probably 60s/70s vintage. :cool:
It's mounted right above my mixing console (it's visible in my studio pictures) mostly as eye-candy rather than outside the studio door. There's no real traffic coming/going at my place, so no need for a formal "on air" sign to stop it outsdie the door.

I really don't see the point of triggering it from an "up" fader move...?
Why not just put a simple On/Off switch near your mixer...and just leave it on during your entire session like most studios do, and then turn it off when you are done. Studios don't constantly turn them on/off/on/off/on/off between every short pause in the tracking...and all that on/off with some fader trigger would probably kill the bulbs that much faster.

You're over complicating it IMO.... :)

I have one that looks like that second one on the Markertek page (the "classic" one), only mine is an authentic one I got from a TV studio that was doing some remodeling. It's probably 60s/70s vintage. :cool:
It's mounted right above my mixing console (it's visible in my studio pictures) mostly as eye-candy rather than outside the studio door. There's no real traffic coming/going at my place, so no need for a formal "on air" sign to stop it outsdie the door.

I really don't see the point of triggering it from an "up" fader move...?
Why not just put a simple On/Off switch near your mixer...and just leave it on during your entire session like most studios do, and then turn it off when you are done. Studios don't constantly turn them on/off/on/off/on/off between every short pause in the tracking...and all that on/off with some fader trigger would probably kill the bulbs that much faster.

You're over complicating it IMO.... :)

When I'm on air I usually have 3 faders to control, my mic, volume and the sub phone line, and then incase things crash I've got to be ready to hit the emergancy fader.

I could do a switch but I'd just find it annoying having to switch it on every time..
Its like I was thinking of putting in one so that my monitors cut out when the faders are up.

I just go in my dark, deep cave with skulls and dead bodies and shit right at the cave's mouth. Then if anyone is actually brave enough to enter, they have to pass the trials just like in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. If they pass that, which is usually once in 500 years, I may have to retrack if they happen to interrupt.

... Studios don't constantly turn them on/off/on/off/on/off between every short pause in the tracking...

That would be might thought.

Using a switch would make wiring so much simpler.

If you make a sign, you can buy engine paint in spray cans at auto parts stores. Engine paint is made to withstand high temperatures. Engine paint is especially nice paint even for non-hi heat applications, it's the best paint I've found in a can. It doesn't come in many colors though. One time I painted a bulb red for a Xmas display and it came out amazingly well.

You could use that paint on a bulb or even get some white plexiglass and use engine paint on that to make a sign that says "RECORDING", "GO AWAY" or my favorite "STFO!!!".

I just go in my dark, deep cave with skulls and dead bodies and shit right at the cave's mouth. Then if anyone is actually brave enough to enter, they have to pass the trials just like in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. If they pass that, which is usually once in 500 years, I may have to retrack if they happen to interrupt.

I just keep automated sentry turrets at the door at all times, and they're always on, whether I'm tracking or not, because people suck.

When I'm on air I usually have 3 faders to control, my mic, volume and the sub phone line, and then incase things crash I've got to be ready to hit the emergancy fader.

I could do a switch but I'd just find it annoying having to switch it on every time..
Its like I was thinking of putting in one so that my monitors cut out when the faders are up.

I'm really not sure why you're seeing this as a complicated problem to work out.

Look..you go into your studio to do some work...when you are ready to start tracking, close the door and turn the "On Air" light on and leave it on until you are done with the tracking session.
Why would you want/need to keep turning it on/off between every fader move? Is there a line of people waiting at the door for the light to go off so they can quick come in between the fader moves? ;)

AFA the phone line...go to Radio Shack and get one of those phone lights that flash when a call comes in...and then you simply turn off the phone ringer and leave it off. The light tells you when there is a call.

I'm not understanding the need for all this on/off/on/off/on/off stuff throughout the sessions…why do you feel you need to do that? :confused:

I used a red CFL light outside my door. It doesn't work, though... the kids still come in whenever they want. :mad:

Naaaaa...it's pretty easy to keep them out...juts put up a sign that says:

"NO CELL PHONES/TEXTING ALLOWED IN STUDIO DURING SESSIONS"

They will NEVER come in.....

I'm not recording.. I'm Live.

Over here in the UK stations "Mic live" signs only light up when the fader gets put up.

Doesn't matter anymore.. I'm just going to buy a relay switch

:laughings::laughings: Just tape a ruler to your fader and put the on/off switch next to it then you have the "no remembering to hit the on the air switch scenario"!

:cool:

I'm not recording.. I'm Live.

But this is the recording forum... :) ...we think in recording studio terms.

So like, are you working in a real radio station with lots of activity/people walking in out every second between fader moves....
...or are you doing some kind of home/internet radio station?

I used a red CFL light outside my door. It doesn't work, though... the kids still come in whenever they want. :mad:
I often record in my kids' room {that's where the drums are, for instance} and they like to watch at times. But they get too excited when my friends are drumming and then they think they can add a beat or whatnot and they talk ! The ideal solution is a riveting blend of bribery........and a key !

I often record in my kids' room {that's where the drums are, for instance} and they like to watch at times. But they get too excited when my friends are drumming and then they think they can add a beat or whatnot and they talk ! The ideal solution is a riveting blend of bribery........and a key !

Now that I think back on it I believe that was what prompted Michael Jackson to hang his son off of that balcony ..... Now listen to daddy "you will not interrupt daddies recording session any more, right"? :laughings:

:cool:

Back