OmniStudio just for preamps?

TheOneTrueMatt

I've got an M-Audio Omni Studio and I'm planning to upgrade to a MOTU 828mkII in a few months and my plan was in addition to the built in pres to buy a DMP3 (which I figured would be a slight improvement over the Omni Studio, though possibly pretty similar, and I've heard the MOTU pres are "ok" or "decent") for stereo/acoustic-guitar/etc and then a Brick for vocals, bass DI etc.

So I'd have 5 channels and a few different complimentary preamps, but then I was wondering, is there a way I could route the Omni Studio's breakout box to just use the preamps? Like would the "Direct Outs" go from right after the preamp w/o any A/D-D/A going on? 'Cause that would make my Omni Studio less than useless when I upgrade, plus give me two more channels of pres if I still get the dmp3, or possibly make it unnecessary.

I can't quite decide if I eventually want to get an 8 channel pre like the Octane, because I think I'd rather focus on getting a few really good channels at a time, like the Brick and then later maybe a Grace 101, though an 8 ch would be great for drum tracking.

So anyone know if this is possible w/the Omni? Or worth it?

I think it's possible, but I'm not sure how...

There are loads of outs on the Omni - one of them has to do it!

Back